Defence Minister Anita Anand says two miners who were trapped in an underground mine for 10 days in the Dominican Republic have been rescued with the help of Canada.
In a tweet on Tuesday, Anand said the Royal Canadian Air Force transported mining equipment to Santo Domingo following a request for assistance from the Dominican government.
Two miners with the Dominican Mining Corporation, known as Cormidom, had been trapped since July 31 in an underground mine. According to a news release from the Dominican Republic Embassy on Saturday, Canada was expected to send over a mining excavation system made up of machines, tools and various rescue technologies.
The statement says the equipment was provided by Machines Roger International, a mining company based in Val-d'Or, Que. Anand thanked the Royal Canadian Air Force personnel involved in the mission who arrived in the Dominican Republic on Sunday.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Two workers trapped, two others taken to hospital after trench collapses at Ajax construction siteBREAKING: Two workers trapped, two others taken to hospital after trench collapses at Ajax construction site
Read more »
STINSON: Leylah Fernandez returns to action after two-month injury layoffLeylah Fernandez says she has discovered she isn’t very patient, which suggests the rain delays upon her return to competitive action probably weren’t that…
Read more »
Impaired driving charges laid after two-vehicle collision in Quinte WestA two-vehicle collision in Quinte West has led to OPP laying impairment charges. Quinte West OPP responded to ...
Read more »
BRP’s famed two-wheeled motorcycles are back — with an electric twistBRP Inc released the first two models of its all\u002Delectric motorcycle line, as well as an electric surfboard, the Sea\u002DDoo Rise. Read on
Read more »
Amber Alert ends for Saskatchewan two-year-old boy with child located safeAn Amber Alert that was issued in Saskatchewan for a two-year-old boy has ended after the child was found unharmed, police say.
Read more »
Saskatchewan mother facing several charges after Amber Alert issued for two-year-old36-year-old woman charged with kidnapping and failing to comply with a release order in case
Read more »