Top US envoy heads to Khartoum – Sudan unrest

South Africa News News

Top US envoy heads to Khartoum – Sudan unrest
South Africa Latest News,South Africa Headlines
  • 📰 trtworld
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 131 sec. here
  • 4 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 56%
  • Publisher: 63%

Top US diplomat, Tibor Nagy, will head to Sudan this week to urge an end to a bloody crackdown on protesters – state department

The death toll from the military crackdown on protesters has reached 113, the CCSD said.

It said tent clinics set up to treat injured protesters have been set on fire and destroyed, medical equipment looted, and health care workers assaulted. Rapes of female health workers have also been reported.Britain's Foreign Office summoned Sudan's ambassador to raise concerns about violence in Khartoum, a spokeswoman said.The African Union's Peace and Security Council voted to suspend Sudan from all AU activities until a civilian government has been formed.

Jabbar said that of the 61 documented cases, 52 were from the capital Khartoum and they included 49 civilians killed by gunfire and three security personnel who died from stab wounds. Medics linked to the opposition have put the death toll far higher, at 108.Russia said it opposed foreign intervention in Sudan and the authorities in Khartoum must subdue what it described as extremists, Russia's RIA news agency reported.

The pledge comes after new clashes brought the death toll in three days of the military's crackdown to 108. In one of the most shocking moments, troops pulled 40 bodies of the victims from the Nile in Khartoum on Wednesday. The report came after opposition-linked medics said more than 100 people had lost their lives in the violence. post, the CCSD said the death toll rose from 60 to 108 after over 40 bodies were pulled from the Nile.

Three children from one family were among the victims, said the committee, adding that at least 509 people had been wounded. "What we are doing is temporarily relocating some of the staff from Sudan. There will still be some staff on hand to perform critical functions but because of security some ... are being relocated temporarily," said UN spokesman Farhan Haq.

Burhan had earlier cut the negotiations and cancelled all agreed-on points between the military and the Forces for Declaration of Freedom and Change, an alliance which represents the protesters.Saudi Arabia said it is watching developments in Sudan with great concern and it supports continued dialogue between the ruling military council and the opposition.

Talks between the TMC, which has ruled Sudan since Bashir was overthrown, and the opposition have ground to a halt amid deep differences over who should lead a three-year transition to democracy. The medical student first realized there was trouble at a barrier just outside the camp at 5 am. He heard bullets and saw people dropping as they ran towards him. He ran to a clinic at the sit-in.He and some doctors treated one man with a fractured skull. Brain tissue was spilling out, he said.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

trtworld /  🏆 101. in US

South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

U.S. stock futures, Mexico peso gain on U.S.-Mexico dealU.S. stock futures, Mexico peso gain on U.S.-Mexico dealU.S. stock futures jumped on Monday after a migration deal between the United St...
Read more »

Salesforce is paying top dollar for growth — and not just in the cloudSalesforce is paying top dollar for growth — and not just in the cloudSalesforce has been a huge cloud evangelist for the last two decades, but the purchases of MuleSoft and Tableau show a change in approach.
Read more »

Startups Target Millennials With Social-Investing AppsStartups Target Millennials With Social-Investing AppsThe lure: investment products built around themes like clean energy and corporate ethics.
Read more »

Huawei executive says goal to be world's top phone maker some time offHuawei executive says goal to be world's top phone maker some time offChina's Huawei Technologies Co Ltd will need more time to become the world&...
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 06:51:47