South African unions reject Transnet's revised wage offer, continue strike
Transnet, which operates South Africa's rail freight and ports, said on Tuesday it had raised its wage offer to 4.5% from 3-4% previously, with additional 5.3% annual increases over the next two years. It also offered a 4.5% increase in medical insurance allowances this year.
"The strike will be intensifying today and over the coming days, picketing will also be intensifying."Van Vuuren said the unions had tabled demands for an increase that would be related to South Africa's annual inflation rate, which was 7.6% in August.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
South Africa: Transnet Workers Down Tools at Major Ports - South African News Briefs - October 11, 2022
Read more »
Transnet strike continues as no agreement reachedThe South African Transport and Allied Workers Union has rejected a new wage offer by Transnet.
Read more »
South Africa: Durban Power Mostly Back After Outage - South African News Briefs - October 12, 2022
Read more »
South Africa: Presidency Receives Amended Zondo Commission Capture Report - South African News Briefs - October 12, 2022
Read more »
Workers' Strike Leads to Bottlenecks at South African PortsMembers of two of South Africa's larger unions, the United National Transport Union (Untu) and the South African Transport and Allied Workers Union (Satawu) have downed tools at the major ports of Durban and Cape Town. Transnet is a large South African rail, port and pipeline company responsible for the movement of cargo and exports, nationally and internationally. Meanwhile, mining and agriculture business organisations are warning of billions in losses if the strike continues. The crippling strike could result in further industrial action as employer and workers are no closer to an agreement, writes Esther Rose for AllAfrica.com.
Read more »
Focus on Africa - Young African activists struggle to attend 'African COP' - BBC Sounds'It is personally so heartbreaking.' With just under a month to go until COP27 in Egypt, Africa's young climate activists say they are being shut out from the landmark climate conference.
Read more »