Lamont recused himself from the class action case involving the families of victims and survivors of the Marikana massacre on Tuesday, after the application was lodged. He disclosed his shareholding two days before the matter came before him.
Lawyers representing the Marikana victims say their clients are deciding on a course of action following Judge Colin Lamont’s decision to recuse himself from a R1-billion civil suit against President Cyril Ramaphosa, the state and mining company Lonmin plc.
A complaint over the judge’s conduct is on the cards over what attorney Andries Nkome said was the unfair treatment of his clients. He said Lamont had been aware of a recusal application over his ownership of shares in Sibanye-Stillwater, which acquired Lonmin in 2019.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Marikana Massacre | Judge Lamont recuses himself from civil caseThe judge presiding over the court case brought by Marikana miners against President Cyril Ramaphosa has recused himself.
Read more »
Marikana Massacre | Judge Lamont recuses himself from civil caseThe judge presiding over the court case brought by Marikana miners against President Cyril Ramaphosa has recused himself.
Read more »
A Madikizela win against Mabuyane could tilt the scales against Ramaphosa’s camp - The Mail & GuardianThe Alfred Nzo region, where Madikizela first emerged on the political stage, negotiated with Mabuyane’s slate for the urban planner to emerge and ultimately catapulted him from a relative unknown into a provincial power broker.
Read more »
Justice ministry still to deliver justice in wrongful dismissal case - The Mail & GuardianAlmost a decade after a clerk at the Viljoenskroon magistrate’s court was wrongfully dismissed, the individuals who allegedly colluded to get rid of him remain in their senior positions in the Free State’s justice department.
Read more »
Make Brazil great again: Bolsonaro’s right-wing policies are not the trump - The Mail & GuardianTo understand more about what’s going on in South America’s most populous country, and what might happen next, The Continent spoke to João Bosco Monte, the head of the Brazil Africa Institute
Read more »