BREAKING: More than half a century after the assassination of Malcolm X, two of his convicted killers were exonerated Thursday after decades of doubt about who was responsible for the civil rights icon’s death.
FILE — Khalil Islam, center, is booked as the third suspect in the slaying of Malcolm X, in New York, March 3, 1965. Islam, previously known as Thomas 15X Johnson, one of two men convicted in the assassination of Malcolm X, is set to be cleared after more than half a century, with prosecutors now saying authorities withheld evidence in the civil rights leader's killing, according to a news report Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2021. Detective John Keeley is at right.
Near the end of Malcolm X’s life, he split with the Black Muslim organization and, after a trip to Mecca, started speaking about the potential for racial unity. It earned him the ire of some in the Nation of Islam, who saw him as a traitor.Aziz and Islam, then known as Norman 3X Butler and Thomas 15X Johnson, and a third man were convicted of murder in March 1966. They were sentenced to life in prison.
The recent re-investigation found evidence that included orders from former FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover himself telling witnesses not to identify themselves as informants to the police or defense, Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. told the court.“I apologize for what were serious, unacceptable violations of law and the public trust,” he said.
NYPD Chief of Patrol Juanita Holmes said Thursday she felt for Malcolm X’s family and for Aziz and Islam “if we are responsible for withholding information.”Attorneys, scholars and others have long raised questions about the convictions, and alternate theories and accusations have swirled around the case. After Netflix aired the documentary series “Who Killed Malcom X?” early last year, Vance’s office said it was taking a fresh look at the case.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
2 men convicted of killing Malcolm X expected to be exoneratedTwo of the three men convicted of killing the civil rights activist Malcolm X are expected to have their convictions thrown out Thursday.
Read more »
Exonerations for 2 men convicted in Malcolm X's 1965 deathTwo men who for decades steadfastly maintained their innocence in the 1965 assassination of civil rights icon Malcolm X are set to be exonerated, after a nearly two-year-long re-investigation.
Read more »
2 men found guilty in the Malcolm X assassination expected to have convictions thrown outJUST IN: Manhattan DA Cy Vance moves to vacate convictions of two of the men convicted in connection with Malcom X's assassination. “I apologize for what were serious, unacceptable violations of law and the public trust.'
Read more »
Two men cleared in killing of Malcolm X, FBI and NYPD withheld key evidenceTwo men convicted in the assassination of Malcolm X are set to be exonerated after more than half a century, with prosecutors now saying authorities withheld evidence
Read more »
Two Men Convicted in Killing of Malcolm X Expected to Be ExoneratedThe Manhattan district attorney’s office on Thursday is expected to ask a judge to throw out the convictions of two of the men found guilty of the assassination of Black activist Malcolm X
Read more »