Acclaimed Iranian director Jafar Panahi was released on bail Friday, two days after going on hunger strike to protest his imprisonment last summer, his supporters said.
Panahi was arrested last July and later ordered to serve six years on charges of propagandizing against the government, a sentence dating back to 2011 that had never been enforced.
Yusef Moulai, Panahi's lawyer, confirmed he had been released on bail and returned home. He said Panahi was in good health after two days without food. He declined to provide further information. He was arrested in July when he went to the Tehran prosecutor's office to inquire about the arrests of two other Iranian filmmakers. A judge later ruled that he must serve the earlier sentence.
At least 527 protesters have been killed and more than 19,500 people have been detained since the demonstrations began, according to Human Rights Activists in Iran, a group that has closely monitored the unrest. Iranian authorities have not released official figures on deaths or arrests.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Iranian director freed on bail after going on hunger strike | CBC NewsAcclaimed Iranian director Jafar Panahi was arrested last July and later ordered to serve six years on charges of propagandizing against the Iranian government, a sentence dating back to 2011 that had never been enforced.
Read more »
Iranian film director goes on hunger strike in prisonDUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — An Iranian director who was arrested last summer, weeks before his latest film was released to widespread acclaim, has gone…
Read more »
Iranian film director goes on hunger strike in prisonAn Iranian director who was arrested last summer, weeks before his latest film was released to widespread acclaim, has gone on hunger strike to protest his continued detention amid more than four months of anti-government protests.
Read more »
Images of emaciated Iranian prisoner prompt outrageSocial media images purported to be of an emaciated jailed Iranian physician who went on hunger strike have caused outrage.
Read more »
Iranian Regime Criticizes Removal of Ilhan Omar From Foreign Affairs Committee.'Ousting IlhanOmar [sic] black Muslim& critic of Israeli Apartheid from a House Committee indicates practical commitment of US to motto of women, life, freedom.'
Read more »
Could a minor drone strike be a catalyst for renewed nuclear talks between Iran and the West?Some experts say the strike in the central Iranian city of Isfahan, was a nudge to the Iranian regime to bring it back to accepting the need for a realistic nuclear deal that works for the West.
Read more »