The work strike is a protest against the impending phaseout of traditional jeepneys by the government. Read more at straitstimes.com.
MANILA — Several schools and local government units in the Philippines have suspended in-person classes and work operations in anticipation of a seven-day work strike organised by several transport groups nationwide next week.
The city government of Manila on Saturday asked public schools to conduct asynchronous classes for students at all levels due to the upcoming transport strike. It also encouraged private schools within the city to do the same. Manibela national president Mar Valbuena said earlier this week that the “tigil pasada” - the first major protest of the sector since PUVs were allowed to operate under full capacity since the pandemic struck three years ago - would involve an estimated 40,000 traditional jeepneys and UV express vehicles which comprise multi-purpose vehicles and vans. It would “ensure employees won’t be able to come to work”, he added.
Under the PUV plan, the franchise for traditional jeepneys was supposedly set to expire by the end of March nationwide, except for Metro Manila where the franchise would be valid until the end of April. The open-air minibuses, which are festooned with bright decorations, pictures and slogans, are commonly known as the “Kings of the Road” and are the most popular form of public transport in the Philippines.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Expanded US access to Philippines bases 'not for aggression', defence chief saysMANILA : A decision by the Philippines to grant the United States greater access to its military bases was 'not for engaging in war' but meant to enhance its ability to defend itself against external threats, its defence chief said on Thursday (Mar 2). 'The geopolitical situation is becoming more precariou
Read more »
Expanded US access to Philippines bases ‘not for aggression’, defence chief saysIt is meant to enhance Philippines' ability to defend itself against external threats. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Philippines central bank gov sees 50 bps rate hike if inflation tops 9%MANILA : Philippine central bank governor Felipe Medalla said on Friday that in the 'worst-case scenario' of inflation rising above 9 per cent, interest rates might be hiked by 50 basis points.Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas' (BSP) next rate hike could be 25 or 50 basis points depending on the latest economic
Read more »
Fishing banned as Philippine oil spill spreadsMANILA: Thousands of fishermen in the Philippines have been ordered to stay ashore as authorities struggled on Friday (Mar 3) to contain an oil spill from a sunken tanker that is threaten
Read more »
Negros Oriental province governor, five others shot dead in latest attack on Philippine politiciansMANILA: A provincial governor in the central Philippines and five other people were shot dead by unknown gunmen on Saturday (Mar 4), his widow said, in the latest attack against local officials.
Read more »
Malaysia PM Anwar says Asean must not be silent, show it can help resolve Myanmar crisisMANILA - Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim said during a visit to the Philippines that the Association of South East Asian Nations (Asean) must prove it is relevant in helping to resolve the crisis in Myanmar. In a pre-recorded interview with Philippine news channel ANC aired on Friday (March 3), he said that Asean, which is leading diplomatic efforts to...
Read more »