Banyana and the Proteas netball squad are on track for their World Cups. DanieMothowagae follows up on developments around the two national championship teams
Banyana Banyana and the Proteas netball squad are almost halfway through preparations for their respective World Cups.Since they qualified for their maiden World Cup, Banyana Banyana have covered a lot of ground in terms of preparations ahead of their appearance at the global showpiece in France.
At 17 years old, Dhlamini is the youngest player in the team and history beckons as she bids for her second World Cup appearance, having represented the country at the Under-17 global tournament in Uruguay last year.“I am so proud because not everybody gets a chance to mix with their role models,” the Mamelodi Sundowns player told City Press during the national team’s training in Soweto this week.
The stocky midfielder received her first Banyana call-up to the Cyprus Women’s Cup in February, as well as the team’s recent friendly matches against Sweden, the Netherlands and Jamaica.“I like the person she is and her simple style of play,” said Dhlamini, who came through the famed High Performance Centre in Pretoria.
The China-based duo of Thembi Kgatlana and Linda Motlhalo will also miss the clash against the US due to club commitments. It was some behind-the-scenes talks that started months after Netball SA lost its SA Breweries Brutal Fruit Netball League sponsorship late last year that led to NSA finally landing Telkom to get the Netball Premier League up and running again.
Neither NSA nor Telkom were willing to divulge the value of the deal that will run for the season, which kicks off in Pretoria on Friday, but the partnership means players will earn prize money for their appearances on court over a five-week period.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Proteas' Otis Gibson & Co's advantage heading into Cricket World Cup'There's nothing we don't know about a World Cup in England,' Dale Benkenstein said, his confidence firm despite the fact that the tournament was last played on the sceptered isle 20 years ago.
Read more »
Injured Proteas speedster withdraws from World Cup squadThe Proteas have been dealt a Cricket World Cup blow with the news that fast bowler Anrich Nortje has been ruled out of the tournament with a hand injury.
Read more »
Rabada limps home to spark World Cup emergencyIs it overstating the case to immediately cancel all South African fast bowlers’ leave until further notice?
Read more »
SA's World Cup pace attack under injury cloudWith the cricket World Cup less than four weeks away, South Africa's pace attack is under an injury cloud with fast bowler Kagiso Rabada the latest concern.
Read more »
Beer fear: Japan urged to stock up for Rugby World CupRugby World Cup bosses have advised Japan to make sure there is enough beer for fans at this year's global showpiece.
Read more »
SA gets 1 referee, 1 TMO for Rugby World Cup 2019World Rugby has announced the squad of 23 match officials selected to take charge of the 48 matches at Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan.
Read more »
SA enter race to host 2022 Sevens World CupAfter missing out on hosting Rugby World Cup 2023 in controversial circumstances last year‚ SA Rugby has decided to bid for the 2022 Sevens World Cup.
Read more »
Kagiso Rabada’s race for the Cricket World Cup takes centre stageWhile Anrich Nortje has again been struck down by an unfortunate and untimely injury‚ all eyes have shifted to the immediate and pressing concern that is Kagiso Rabada’s fitness.
Read more »
Ngidi, Shamsi, Duminy given all clear from injuries ahead of Cricket World CupThe trio of Lungi Ngidi, Tabraiz Shamsi and JP Duminy have been given the green light after making full recoveries from their respective injuries, Proteas team manager Mohammed Moosajee confirmed on Tuesday.
Read more »
France draft in new coach Galthie in major World Cup shake-upFabien Galthie was named last month to replace Jacques Brunel after the World Cup but was brought in early to boost a demoralised squad.
Read more »
Referees Owens and Barnes selected for fourth World Cup
Read more »