PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. — A B.C. First Nation and the province have signed what the government is calling a historic agreement towards jointly managing land, water…
The agreement, signed Tuesday with the Blueberry River First Nations in northeastern B.C., includes a $200-million restoration fund and timelines for coming up with plans to manage watersheds and oil and gas activities in parts of the First Nations’ claim area, which covers four per cent of the province.Sign up to receive daily headline news from Ottawa Citizen, a division of Postmedia Network Inc.
The plans will set out old-growth forest levels, reserves, and “promote sustainable economies and resilient communities,” the government says. “This agreement provides a clear pathway to get the hard work started on healing and restoring the land, and start on the joint planning with strong criteria to protect ecosystems, wildlife habitat and old forests,” Chief Judy Desjarlais of the Blueberry River First Nations said in a statement.Article content
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Prince William Makes First Solo Appearance Since Release Of Prince Harry’s ‘Spare’ MemoirPrince William made his first solo appearance on Tuesday since the release of his brother's book, Spare, last week. The Prince of Wales visited Together One, a charity in Slough, just outside his home in Windsor, that works to create positive social change for young people. [readmore label='READ MORE: ' link='https://etcanada.com/news/959112/prince-harry-voices-concern-for-prince-williams-children-in-latest-interview-at-least-one-will-end-up-like-me-the-spare/' text='Prince Harry Voices Concern…
Read more »
Letter to the editor: Pine beetle inaction to blame for Prince George pulp closureWe had a simple but clear message: the mountain pine beetle would devastate B.C. interior forests and lead to eventual and massive shutdowns of lumber and pulp of operations in the interior.
Read more »
Letter to the editor: Prince George pulp closure predicted 30 years ago'From my recollections the government put a gag order on government forestry officials to not talk about the pine beetle crisis.'
Read more »
Cameron Stolz: Canfor pulp closure will hit the wallets of Prince George residentsIn 2024, Canfor will no longer be paying property tax on the plant they are shutting down. That's tax revenue that will need to be made up for by the rest of the property owners in our city.
Read more »
Known Prince George offender charged with dangerous drivingHayden Lee Alwood also faces count of failing to stop at scene of accident
Read more »
Nathan Giede: Canfor's Prince George lands should be seized by the Lheidli T'ennehIf anyone at Canfor starts squawking, mayor and council are welcome to remind them that there are other properties that could be seized.
Read more »