Case on hold for applications by arms-deal prosecutor and journalist, claiming abuse of process, to be heard together
News24 journalist Karyn Maughan appears in Pietermaritzburg high court, October 10 2022. Picture: SANDILE NDLOVU
Downer and Maughan have filed applications — to be heard by a civil court judge — in a bid to have the charges dropped, both claiming an abuse of process. In his application, Downer said R90,000 was “wholly inadequate, given that the matter would run in the high court for at least 10 days, during which Zuma intended to call more than 20 witnesses”.
“She believes it is extremely urgent because her case is that the application has been brought for the sole purpose of harassing her, intimidating her and stopping her from doing her job. He said there had been agreement between the parties to adjourn the matter until February 2 next year when, hopefully, a ruling would have been made on the two applications and “the private prosecution will be taken forward from that point on”.Chili placed on record that he had been assigned only to hear the deposit application and not the entire private prosecution trial. A judge still had to be assigned for that.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
KZN ANC expected to join Zuma at court for start of case against Downer, MaughanJacob Zuma is seeking private prosecution against Advocate Billy Downer, who’s leading the State’s corruption case against the former leader and News24 journalist, Karyn Maughan. He’s accused Downer of having leaked his medical records to Maughan.
Read more »
Theft case laid against Ramaphosa at Joburg police stationA businessman claims an idea he presented to Cyril Ramaphosa now forms part of the country’s national energy plan without his involvement, according to a Sunday newspaper.
Read more »
Theft case laid against Ramaphosa at Joburg police stationA businessman claims an idea he presented to Cyril Ramaphosa now forms part of the country’s national energy plan without his involvement, according to a Sunday newspaper.
Read more »
Zuma's private prosecution case against Maughan & Downer postponedThe case relates to what the former president has described as the “leaking” of a “confidential” medical note submitted to the court as part of a postponement application in his corruption case.
Read more »
Zuma thanks supporters for standing by him on contempt court caseZuma expressed satisfaction with the support he received after last year's Constitutional Court judgment, which sentenced him to 15 months in prison for failing to appear before the Zondo commission into state capture.
Read more »