The Iran-backed Huthi rebels and the Saudi-led military coalition, which intervened in 2015 to shore up Yemen's government against the insurgents a year after they seized the capital Sanaa, have both agreed to observe the ceasefire.
DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - A UN-brokered two-month truce took effect in Yemen Saturday, the first day of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, and analysts hope for a rare respite in the impoverished country's seven-year war.
Pro-government forces seized control of the oil-rich governorate of Shabwa in southern Yemen earlier this year. Over the past year, the Huthis have launched a series of drone and missile attacks on Saudi Arabia and the UAE, hitting key infrastructure. "The global fuel crisis heightened the value of Saudi fuel supply as it is threatened by... cross-border attacks," said Basha.The Huthis and the coalition have not reported any major violations since the truce started Saturday at 7:00 pm .
"The success of this initiative will depend on the warring parties' continued commitment to implementing the truce agreement with its accompanying humanitarian measures," said UN special envoy Hans Grundberg.It "tests the fragile trust between all the warring parties," said Basha, who however welcomed an initiative that coincided with the start of Ramadan."The truce is a rare chance for humanitarian relief and to ease the impact of the war on citizens," he said.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
War-torn Yemen holds breath for breakthrough truce | News24Yemen's warring parties are set to lay down their weapons for the first nationwide truce since 2016 on Saturday, with all eyes on whether the UN-brokered ceasefire will hold.
Read more »
War-torn Yemen holds breath for breakthrough truce | News24Yemen's warring parties are set to lay down their weapons for the first nationwide truce since 2016 on Saturday, with all eyes on whether the UN-brokered ceasefire will hold.
Read more »
In latest cycle, 1,692 positive COVID-19 cases reported in SA1,692 positive COVID-19 cases have been identified in South Africa in the last 24 hours under review.
Read more »
War in Ukraine: Latest developments
Read more »