WASHINGTON: US military fighter jets on Sunday (Feb 12) shot down an octagonal object over Lake Huron, the Pentagon said, the fourth such incident since a suspected Chinese surveillance balloon put
"Recovery teams are on the ground, looking to find and analyse the object," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters on Sunday.
That 200-foot-tall balloon - which Americans have accused Beijing of using to spy on the United States - caused an international incident, leading Secretary of State Antony Blinken to call off a planned trip to China only hours before he was set to depart.Twice in 24 hours, US officials closed airspace - only to reopen it swiftly.
US Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer told US broadcaster ABC that officials think two of the latest objects were smaller balloons than the original one. Speaking to Fox News, House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Michael McCaul said the balloon shot down over the South Carolina coast had been on a mission to get imagery of sensitive American nuclear sites.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Morning Digest, Feb 11 - Singapore NewsHere are the top stories you might've missed...
Read more »
This week's top reads from The Straits Times, Feb 11Catch up on some of the week's top reads. Subscribe to our newsletter here. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
While You Were Sleeping: 5 stories you might have missed, Feb 12A selection of news stories that happened overnight, Feb 12, 2023. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Morning Briefing: Top stories from The Straits Times on Feb 12You are reading the Morning Briefing newsletter. Get the news that prepares you for the day ahead, delivered to your inbox. Subscribe to our newsletter. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Evening Update: Today's headlines from The Straits Times on Feb 12You are reading the Evening Update newsletter. Get up to speed with the important stories from the day. Subscribe to our newsletter. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
While You Were Sleeping: 5 stories you might have missed, Feb 13Qatar donates World Cup cabins to quake-hit Turkey, Syria Qatar will send Turkey and Syria 10,000 cabins and caravans used during the World Cup, which would now house people who lost their homes in a devastating earthquake, Qatari officials said Sunday. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »