UK says 200 asylum-seeking children missing, some aged under 16

South Africa News News

UK says 200 asylum-seeking children missing, some aged under 16
South Africa Latest News,South Africa Headlines
  • 📰 OttawaCitizen
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 61 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 28%
  • Publisher: 68%

LONDON — Two hundred asylum\u002Dseeking children, including some aged under 16, are missing from temporary hotel accommodation in Britain, the government said on…

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s government is under pressure on two fronts over immigration: from those who say he is failing to protect Britain’s borders from migrants arriving in small boats and others who say the government is not treating those who arrive properly.Sign up to receive daily headline news from Ottawa Citizen, a division of Postmedia Network Inc.By clicking on the sign up button you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

Jenrick said 13 of the 200 missing children were under 16 years old and one was female, with around 88% of all those missing coming from Albania. He said the government was fulfilling its obligations to protect the children. “The movements of under-18s in and out of hotels are monitored and reported and they’re accompanied by social workers when attending organized activities,” Jenrick told parliament.Article contentThe number of people arriving in England across the Channel has more than doubled in the last two years, with government figures showing Albanians account for the highest number of people arriving by this route.

Last year ministers came under pressure over poor living conditions and overcrowding at a migrant holding facility, and faced threats of legal action from rights groups and a public sector workers’ union.In response to Jenrick, Green Party lawmaker Caroline Lucas said the children were at risk of being snatched, abducted and coerced by criminals.

“This is horrific,” Lucas said. “Vulnerable children are being dumped by the Home Office. Scores of them are going missing … we are asking the Home Office to apply some basic safeguarding so we can keep them safe.”

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

OttawaCitizen /  🏆 21. in CA

South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

London, Ont. mother highlights lack of mental health support for teen daughter - London | Globalnews.caLondon, Ont. mother highlights lack of mental health support for teen daughter - London | Globalnews.caAccording to the Ontario Phycological Association, requests for mental health support for children and youth services increased by 104 per cent between 2021 and 2022.
Read more »

BMW was doing up to 200 km/h before collision, say West Shore RCMPBMW was doing up to 200 km/h before collision, say West Shore RCMPWest Shore RCMP said the 31-year-old driver lost control about 7:40 p.m. and hit a Hyundai Elantra, before crashing into a concrete median.
Read more »

BMW was travelling up to 200 km/h before Langford crash: RCMPBMW was travelling up to 200 km/h before Langford crash: RCMPA 31-year-old driver has been charged with excessive speeding after investigators say he was travelling at upwards of 200 km/h when his BMW collided with another vehicle on the Trans-Canada Highway in Langford, B.C.
Read more »

BMW driver estimated to be driving at 200 km/h crashes into vehicleBMW driver estimated to be driving at 200 km/h crashes into vehicleThe driver of a 2011 BMW X6 who was estimated to be driving up to 200 km/h crashed into another vehicle on Jan. 22.
Read more »

Thousands already donated for upcoming London, Ont. homelessness plan - London | Globalnews.caThousands already donated for upcoming London, Ont. homelessness plan - London | Globalnews.caThe plan was announced last week by Mayor Josh Morgan during his first-ever State of the City Address and aims to provide a 'permanent and sustainable system' for homelessness.
Read more »

London-based microbrewery first in Ontario to recycle CO2 in brewing process - London | Globalnews.caLondon-based microbrewery first in Ontario to recycle CO2 in brewing process - London | Globalnews.caThe new equipment at Anderson Craft Ales is expected to capture and reuse over 100,000 lbs of CO2 – the equivalent of 1,000 trees – every year.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 19:15:26