U.N. chief calls for independent probe into Gulf tanker attacks

South Africa News News

U.N. chief calls for independent probe into Gulf tanker attacks
South Africa Latest News,South Africa Headlines
  • 📰 Reuters
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 38 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 18%
  • Publisher: 97%

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on Friday for an indepe...

Charlemagne Prize recipient, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, speaks during the ceremony in Aachen, Germany May 30, 2019. REUTERS/Thilo Schmuelgen - RC1F842543F0

The United States blamed Iran for the attacks on Thursday, a charge Tehran rejected. Amid the rising tensions, Guterres said he was available to mediate if the parties agreed, however he added that “at the present moment we don’t see a mechanism of dialogue possible to be in place.” “It’s very important to know the truth and it’s very important that responsibilities are clarified. Obviously that can only be done if there is an independent entity that verifies those facts,” he told reporters, adding that he believed only the Security Council could order a U.N. investigation.

Guterres, who condemned the attacks on the tankers, was speaking on Friday alongside Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit after the pair met.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

Reuters /  🏆 2. in US

South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

U.S. blames Iran for tanker attacks in Gulf of Oman, oil prices riseU.S. blames Iran for tanker attacks in Gulf of Oman, oil prices riseUPDATE: Iran's mission to the United Nations says it categorically rejects the U.S.'s 'unfounded claim' regarding Gulf of Oman tanker attacks. Read more:
Read more »

U.S. blames Iran for tanker attacks in Gulf of Oman, Iran rejects assertionU.S. blames Iran for tanker attacks in Gulf of Oman, Iran rejects assertionU.S. blames Iran for attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, Iran rejects assertion by LisaBarrington lesleywroughton
Read more »

U.N. says it confirms 17 deaths in Sudan's DarfurU.N. says it confirms 17 deaths in Sudan's DarfurThe United Nations said on Thursday it had confirmed the killing of 17 people an...
Read more »

Qatar calls for international probe into tanker attacks in Gulf of OmanQatar calls for international probe into tanker attacks in Gulf of OmanQatar called for an international investigation into attacks on two oil tankers ...
Read more »

Pompeo blames Iran for attack on two tankers in Gulf of Oman, US details evidencePompeo blames Iran for attack on two tankers in Gulf of Oman, US details evidenceU.S. Central Command has released video that it says shows Iranian forces removing unexploded mine that had been attached to the Kokuka Courageous, one of two commercial tanker ships attacked in the Gulf of Oman.
Read more »

Iran's U.N. mission rejects 'unfounded' U.S. claim over Gulf of Oman tanker attacksIran's U.N. mission rejects 'unfounded' U.S. claim over Gulf of Oman tanker attacksIran categorically rejects the 'unfounded' U.S. claim over Thursday&0...
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 05:02:25