The rescue phase is coming to a close, with the focus switching to providing shelter, food and schooling, says the UN. Read more at straitstimes.com.
KAHRAMANMARAS - Rescuers in Turkey pulled out several people alive from collapsed buildings on Monday and were digging to reach a grandmother, mother and daughter from a single family, a week afterWith hopes of finding many more survivors in the rubble fast fading, the combined death toll in Turkey and neighbouring Syria from last Monday’s 7.8 magnitude quake rose above 37,000 and looked set to keep increasing.
A woman named Naide Umay was carried alive from a mess of crumbled masonry and twisted steel rods in Antakya, a video shared online by the mayor of Istanbul showed. Workers clapped as she was put in an ambulance. “They are still alive and they’re in very good condition. We are doing our best to get them and I have a very strong feeling we are going to get them,” said Ms Burcu Baldauf, head of the Turkish voluntary healthcare team.
More than 4,300 people were reported dead and 7,600 injured in north-west Syria as at Sunday, said a UN agency. Combined with the toll reported from government-held parts of the country, it takes the number of people reported killed in Syria to more than 5,714. Earthquake aid from government-held regions into territory controlled by hardline opposition groups has been held up by approval issues with Islamist group Hayat Tahrir al-Sham which controls much of the region, a UN spokesman said.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Turkey finds more survivors but hopes dwindle a week after quakeKAHRAMANMARAS - Rescuers in Turkey pulled out several people alive from collapsed buildings on Monday and were digging to reach a grandmother, mother and daughter from a single family, a week after the country’s worst earthquake in modern history. With hopes of...
Read more »
Turkey arrests 48 people over looting after quakeSuspects are being held in eight different provinces. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Nearly 26 million people affected by Turkey-Syria quake, says WHOIt launches a flash aid appeal for US$42.8 million (S$57 million) as death toll tops 25,000. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
As anger swells over quake, Turkey detains building constructorsADIYAMAN, Turkey – With anger swelling in Turkey on Saturday over the government’s slow response to Monday’s devastating earthquake and what critics say was shoddy construction, the government began detaining building contractors across the country whom it blamed for some of the collapses that have helped drive the death toll in the country above 25,000. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Miracle rescues as Turkey-Syria quake deaths tops 28,000But security concerns led some aid operations to be suspended. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Woman dies day after her rescue following 104 hours under Turkey quake rubbleKIRIKHAN, Turkey - A woman died in hospital on Saturday (Feb 11) a day after she was pulled out of the rubble of a collapsed building in southern Turkey, where she had been trapped for 104 hours since Monday's devastating earthquake, rescuers said. German rescuers pulled 40-year-old Zeynep Kahraman out of the rubble in the town of Kirikhan in southern...
Read more »