Ms Carroll seeks to use the tape to demonstrate a pattern of behaviour by the former president. Read more at straitstimes.com.
NEW YORK - Former president Donald Trump said the infamous 2005 audio recording in which he brags about groping women without consent should be barred from an upcoming trial over claims by a former Elle magazine advice columnist who says he raped her in the 1990s.
Ms Carroll, who went public with her claims in 2019, sued Mr Trump for defamation after he accused her of fabricating the rape to sell a book. Ms Carroll’s “desire to introduce this evidence can serve only one purpose: to suggest to the jury that defendant had a propensity for sexual assault and therefore the alleged incident must have in fact occurred,” Mr Trump’s lawyer Alina Habba said in the filing.
Both women have been deposed by Ms Carroll’s lawyers and are on her list of potential witnesses at the trial. Their claims gained traction after the “Access Hollywood” tape emerged, though Mr Trump went on to win the 2016 election.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Judge rejects Trump's late offer to provide DNA in rape accuser Carroll's lawsuitNEW YORK — A federal judge on Wednesday (Feb 15) rejected Donald Trump's offer to provide a DNA sample as part of a defamation lawsuit filed against him by E. Jean Carroll, a writer who said the former US president raped her in the mid-1990s. US District Judge Lewis Kaplan in Manhattan said Trump's sudden willingness after years of resistance...
Read more »
Raquel Welch, Hollywood sex symbol of 60s, dies aged 82LOS ANGELES - Raquel Welch, the US actress who became an international sex symbol after appearing in a deerskin bikini in One Million Years BC, died on Wednesday, her manager said. She was 82. Welch’s manager said in an emailed statement to AFP that she had died...
Read more »
Hollywood actress Raquel Welch dead at age 82LOS ANGELES — Actress Raquel Welch, who helped reshape the traditional image of the Hollywood sex symbol in an era when the movie industry was still overtly defining an idealised version of sensuality for mass consumption, died on Wednesday (Feb 15) at age 82. Her death following a brief illness was confirmed in a statement released by her Los Angeles-based...
Read more »
Michelle Yeoh recalls her confusion over being labeled a ‘minority’ in HollywoodAfter smashing glass ceilings with 40 years of exemplary talent, Michelle Yeoh has shared the confusion she felt when she came to Hollywood for the very first time. In a recent interview with The Rake, Yeoh, now 60, revealed that she did not understand how she became a “minority” upon landing in Los Angeles in the latter part of the '90’s. At the time, the Malaysian Chinese star had already established herself as a martial arts figure in Hong Kong cinema. “We have Chinese, Malays, Indians, English, expats, which is great,” Yeoh, who was born in the picturesque city of Ipoh, Malaysia, told the magazine for Issue 86.
Read more »
Steven Spielberg says Tom Cruise's Top Gun: Maverick saved HollywoodSome of the biggest names in Hollywood reunited at this year's Academy Award Nominees Luncheon, but none of them made big buzz like Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise. In an Instagram story shared by documentary director Kartiki Gonsalves, Spielberg and Cruise were seen embracing as Spielberg tells the Top Gun: Maverick actor-producer that he 'saved Hollywood's a**'. He later added...
Read more »
8-bit to theme park: Super Mario warps into Universal Studios HollywoodLOS ANGELES : Universal Studios Hollywood visitors can leap over to the new Super Nintendo World and see Japanese video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto’s Mushroom Kingdom come to life with vibrant colored coin blocks, warp pipes, Piranha plants and beloved characters like Mario and Luigi.“There's nothi
Read more »