The Trump administration abruptly canceled three classified congressional briefings tied to the Iran crisis. In some cases, little or no explanation was given.
The State Department called off two briefings that were scheduled for Wednesday, Senate and House aides confirm to CNN. The Pentagon also scrapped Thursday's classified briefing on Iran for the House Armed Services Committee due to scheduling issues, according to a US defense official and house aide.John Rood, the Defense Department's top policy official, had been expected to deliver that briefing.
Without knowledge of any alleged threats, the State Department didn't issue warnings about specific dangers to any US embassy before the administration targeted Soleimani, Iran's second most powerful official, according to the sources.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Trump offers new Iran account, now says 4 embassies targeted but still few specifics'I am totally unconvinced that there was any imminence that required an immediate attack,' Sen. Chuck Schumer tells TheView on strike that killed top Iranian general. 'This president plays so fast and loose with the truth—not only on that issue.'
Read more »
Iran protests over downed Ukrainian plane turn violent as Trump tweets supportAnti-government protesters turned violent over the weekend in Tehran, with protesters angry at being lied to over the downed Ukrainian plane.
Read more »
Stephen Colbert Goes Off On Trump Administration For Shifting Stories On IranPresident Donald Trump and Defense Secretary Mark Esper have very different views on whether U.S. embassies were facing imminent threat, when Trump ordered a drone strike killing Iranian Gen. Qasem…
Read more »
'Trump deal' could replace 2015 Iran nuclear accord, Boris Johnson saysIf the 2015 nuclear deal does collapse with Iran, a 'Trump deal' negotiated by the U.S. president should replace it, U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Tuesday.
Read more »
Trump says he stands with Iran protesters, but banned them from the US - Business InsiderAs President Donald Trump offers rhetorical support for Iranians, his administration continues to ban them from traveling to the US.
Read more »