“There had been rumours of a group of vigilantes and protesters who allegedly plan to stop residents of Ndwedwe from exercising their democratic right of voting.'
Speaking on behalf of the amakhosi, traditional leaders chairman Inkosi Sibongiseni Khumalo said they were shocked by the incidents that had unfolded.
He said they respected people’s democratic right to voice their concerns, however, they did not see it as democratic to stop those who wished to exercise their own right to vote.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Traditional leaders step in as KZN protesters threaten election disruptionsAs rumours swirled in the Ndwedwe area north of Durban that angry residents would protest and disrupt Wednesday’s election, traditional leaders and political figureheads were forced to step in and avoid a polling disaster.
Read more »
Cele identifies KZN and NW as high-risk areas for election day disruptionsPolice Minister Bheki Cele that over 51,000 police officers will be deployed to voting stations on election day, while 3,000 reservists and other stand-by teams are ready and waiting to be deployed where necessary when South Africans take to the polls.
Read more »
Another ANCYL leader gunned down in KZNKZN ANC Youth League provincial secretary Thanduxolo Sabelo said Dumisani Moyo’s killing is politically motivated.
Read more »
KZN ANCYL leader gunned down outside his homeDumisani Moyo was taken to a local clinic where he died. A murder investigation docket has been opened and police are investigating the incident
Read more »
KZN political killings task team takes over probe into ANCYL leader's murderA specialist task team looking into with political killings in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) has taken over the investigation into the murder of ANC Youth League (ANCYL) leader Dumisani Moyo, Minister of Police Bheki Cele has announced.
Read more »
KZN and North West the 'highest-risk areas' for election violenceSAElections2019 | 'We can confirm that in these two provinces, there are elements of activities which could undermine the election processes from running smoothly.'
Read more »
Bheki Cele urges cops to stay calm in 'high-risk KZN' over election periodPolice minister Bheki Cele has warned KwaZulu-Natal police not to be tempted by unscrupulous politicians ahead of the national elections on Wednesday.
Read more »
KZN and North West the 'highest-risk areas' for election violenceSAElections2019 | 'We can confirm that in these two provinces, there are elements of activities which could undermine the election processes from running smoothly.'
Read more »
KZN plans to be be ready for elections despite infrastructure damage from floodsCogta is working with affected municipalities and the IEC to address the damage and the issue of lost identity documents.
Read more »
KZN and North West the 'highest-risk areas' for election violencePolice have identified KZN and the North West provinces as the highest risks for violence during next week's general elections.
Read more »
KZN and North West the 'highest-risk areas' for election violencePolice have identified KZN and the North West provinces as the highest risks for violence during next week's general elections.
Read more »