SEC Issues $3 Million Award to Two Former Merrill Lynch Whistleblowers

South Africa News News

SEC Issues $3 Million Award to Two Former Merrill Lynch Whistleblowers
South Africa Latest News,South Africa Headlines
  • 📰 WSJ
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 40 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 19%
  • Publisher: 63%

Two former Merrill Lynch financial advisers were the whistleblowers who received a $3 million payout by the SEC

A general view of the Bank of America Merrill Lynch logo. Photo: John Keeble/Getty Images By Mengqi Sun June 12, 2019 3:50 p.m. ET Two former Merrill Lynch financial advisers who alleged the company made misleading statements related to a struggling investment product were the whistleblowers who received a $3 million payout by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The financial advisers secretly taped calls with executives at Merrill, during which they were told not to suggest to complaining clients that the product was flawed. Messrs. Ringwall and Manion left the firm for rival UBS Group AG in 2012 and then filed a whistleblower complaint over the notes with the SEC.

Merrill Lynch, the brokerage arm of Bank of America Corp. , paid $10 million in fines in 2016 to settle SEC accusations it failed to adequately disclose certain fixed costs in the structured notes linked to a proprietary volatility index, according to the SEC. Merrill Lynch offered and sold about $150 million of the notes to approximately 4,000 retail investor accounts in 2010 and 2011, the SEC said. In its settlement, Merrill Lynch didn’t admit or deny the accusations.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

WSJ /  🏆 98. in US

South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

a brief history of raf simons’s david lynch obsessionA love letter from one auteur to another.
Read more »

Ford to Recall 1.2 Million Ford Explorers Due to Rear Suspension IssueFord to Recall 1.2 Million Ford Explorers Due to Rear Suspension IssueFord Motor Co. said it was issuing a notice to correct a suspension problem in certain model-year 2011 through 2017 Explorer vehicles.
Read more »

Ford recalling 1.2 million Explorers over suspension issueFord recalling 1.2 million Explorers over suspension issueFord is recalling 1.2 million Explorers over a problem with their suspensions.
Read more »

Ford to spend $180 million to fix suspension issue in Explorer vehiclesFord to spend $180 million to fix suspension issue in Explorer vehiclesFord Motor Co said on Wednesday its North American unit will spend $180 million ...
Read more »

Judge awards $4.1 million in neo-Nazi website lawsuitJudge awards $4.1 million in neo-Nazi website lawsuitSiriusXM Radio show host Dean Obeidallah filed the civil complaint against The Daily Stormer founder Andrew Anglin, who hasn't responded to Obeidallah's libel lawsuit. Anglin's whereabouts are unclear. Last month, U.S. District Court Judge Edmund Sargus Jr. agreed to enter a default judgment
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 23:06:49