More than 46,000 people have been killed after the quake struck Türkiye and Syria on Feb 6.
Rescue efforts in earthquake-hit Türkiye were winding down on Sunday , nearly two weeks after the country's deadliest disaster in the modern era, with many praying only for bodies to mourn.
after the quake struck Türkiye and Syria on Feb 6. The toll is expected to climb, with about 345,000 apartments in Türkiye now known to have been destroyed and many people still missing.Orhan Tatar, General Director of Earthquake and Risk Reduction at Türkiye's Disaster Management at AFAD, reiterated on Sunday that the Eastern Anatolian Fault broke apart in five different branches, with 25km of fractures measured in the province of Malatya alone.
Search dogs and thermal cameras had detected signs of life from two people, rescuers said, but just after midnight, eight hours into the operation, the teams called off the rescue. Workers from Kyrgyzstan tried to save a Syrian family of five from the rubble of a building in Antakya in southern Türkiye.
As rescue efforts continued one worker yelled into the rubble:"Take a deep breath if you can hear my voice."MILLIONS IN NEED OF AID In Syria, which has reported more than 5,800 deaths, the World Food Programme said authorities in the northwest of the country were blocking access to the area.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
68 SCDF officers returning from rescue mission in quake-hit Turkey receive hero’s welcomeAround 50 Turkish nationals living in Singapore also turned up at Changi Airport to welcome the team. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
68 SCDF officers returning from rescue mission in quake-hit Turkey receive hero’s welcomeThe 68-member Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) team that helped with rescue operations in quake-hit Turkey was received with...
Read more »
Russia 'expected' to launch rescue ship to International Space Station on Feb 24The spacecraft had began leaking coolant in mid-December after being hit by what's believed to be a tiny space rock. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Russia 'expected' to launch rescue ship to ISS on Feb 24: OfficialMOSCOW: Russia's space agency said Saturday (Feb 18) it was planning to send a rescue ship on Feb 24 to bring home three astronauts whose return vehicle was damaged by a tiny meteoroid. 'The launch is expected on Feb 24,' a spokesman for the Roscosmos space agency told AFP. Last Monday, the space
Read more »
A hero's welcome for SCDF rescuers returning from quake-hit TürkiyeThe 68-strong Operation Lionheart contingent was welcomed by family members, colleagues and the Turkish community at Changi Airport.
Read more »
Body of Ghana footballer Atsu found in Türkiye quake rubbleANKARA: Ghanaian footballer Christian Atsu has been found dead under the building where he lived in southern Türkiye after last week's massive earthquake, the ex-Chelsea winger's Turkish age
Read more »