The high court has interdicted the release of a report by Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane that found that Minister Gugile Nkwinti, abused his powers when he was the minister of rural development and land reform.
The Nkwinti report is already in the public domain but Nkwinti’s attorney, Mxolisi Myambo, said the judgment would prevent the implementation of the remedial action directed in the report.The report found that Nkwinti abused his position as minister to benefit his friend, . In 2011, the rural development and land reform department bought a farm worth R97-million and, after a referral from Nkwinti, handed its management to Present and a business partner.
Nkwinti went to court urgently just before the report was due to be publicly released, because he said he had never responded to the allegations against him. Mkhwebane had given him 18 days to respond, but two requests for extensions went unanswered — until the day the report was signed off, when the requests were refused.
The spokesperson for the public protector, Oupa Segalwe, said they were “puzzled” by the order as the report had already been distributed to parties and published in the media. “This renders the judgment rather academic,” he said.The story took a twist when it emerged in court papers that the person who implemented the Bekendvlei acquisition — then deputy director general of the land department Vussy Mahlangu — was now the chief executive at the office of the public protector.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Nkwinti goes to court to halt release of damning public protector reportMinister Gugile Nkwinti seeks to stop public protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane from making public a report where he was found to have violated the executive ethics code and the constitution.
Read more »
Court bars public protector from releasing Nkwinti reportThe order means that the president cannot act on the remedial action against the water affairs minister, pending a challenge by the minister
Read more »
Public protector gave me little time to respond - minister Gugile Nkwinti's tells courtMinister Gugile Nkwinti wants the North Gauteng High Court to rule that Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane violated the Public Protector Act when she denied him an extension to respond to a report that implicated him in wrongdoing.
Read more »
SAHRC, Office of Public Protector set to visit Alexandra - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader.The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) and the Office of the Public Protector will on Friday morning visit Alexandra township north of Johannesburg following last month's protests.
Read more »
Human Rights Commission, Public Protector to begin probe into Alexandra renewal project violationsThe South African Human Rights Commission and Public Protector are going to conduct a joint inspection of Alexandra, Johannesburg, as they begin their probe into the Alexandra renewal project.
Read more »
Protector turns to Ramaphosa as conflict with Pravin Gordhan intensifiesPublic Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane says Gordhan's behaviour was at odds with the Constitution
Read more »
Protector turns to Ramaphosa as conflict with Pravin Gordhan intensifiesPublic Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane says Gordhan's behaviour was at odds with the Constitution
Read more »
Help me with Gordhan’s ‘unconstitutional’ conduct, Mkhwebane asks RamaphosaHelp me with Gordhan’s ‘unconstitutional’ conduct, Mkhwebane asks Ramaphosa
Read more »
High court hears minister’s urgent application to halt release of PP report | News | National | M&G
Read more »
Mkhwebane slams water minister over deal with heist-accused former ANC stafferPublic Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane has made a damning finding against minister Gugile Nkwinti, establishing that he has violated the executive ethics code and the Constitution.
Read more »
Pravin Gordhan vows to submit affidavit over Sars 'rogue unit' | IOL NewsPublic Enterprises Minister PravinGordhan has promised to give attention to Public Protector BusisiweMkhwebane, to submit an affidavit on her investigation into the alleged rogue unit at Sars.
Read more »