Ottawa's transit commission has approved the city's zero-emission bus plan after council kicked it back to them for further discussion earlier this week.
At a special meeting on Friday, the commission voted for the near-$1 billion plan that would see OC Transpo's entire fleet converted to electric buses by 2036.to refer the plan back to the transit commission for more discussion. Councillors—particularly new ones who weren't around last term—wanted more time to ask questions about the plan., the commission voted 7-1 in favour of the plan. Coun. Wilson Lo, a former OC Transpo employee, was the lone dissenting vote.
City council will be asked once again to approve budgeting authority for the planning, design, and construction of the charging infrastructure for the fleet of what would eventually be 350 zero-emission buses. Part of the cost will be covered by the federal government, including $350 million from the Infrastructure Canada grant and $75 million drawdown on the Canada Infrastructure Bank credit facility
OC Transpo said in 2021 it planned to buy 450 electric buses, but said week it said the plan now includes only 350 buses.Council will take up the matter at its meeting next Wednesday.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Amid neck hold controversy, Ottawa questioned about methods it wants RCMP to outlawThe federal government is facing questions about exactly what kind of force it is asking police to stop using, as the RCMP is criticized over its decision not to outlaw a controversial neck hold.
Read more »
City of Ottawa taking federal government to court over $22 million in underpaymentsIn a Federal Court filing, the city argues the federal government\u0027s decision to include itself in a provincial tax break should be invalid because it was…
Read more »
Why David Dodge thinks Ottawa's plans to restore fiscal balance are on shaky groundFormer Bank of Canada governor says the path Ottawa has charted to bring its debt under control faces significant risks. Read more
Read more »
City of Ottawa taking federal government to court over $22 million in underpaymentsIn a Federal Court filing, the city argues the federal government\u0027s decision to include itself in a provincial tax break should be invalid
Read more »
High-scoring Ballou moves on from Atlético OttawaThe club announced Wednesday it has reached an agreement for the transfer of Tabla to Turkish side Manisa FK, pending the delivery of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC).
Read more »