Only one province using system to rein in medical negligence claims

South Africa News News

Only one province using system to rein in medical negligence claims
South Africa Latest News,South Africa Headlines
  • 📰 BDliveSA
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 38 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 19%
  • Publisher: 63%

Provinces eschew case management system designed to help provincial health departments defend themselves against potentially crippling claims

The government has spent R1.2m to roll out the case management system in all provinces. Picture: OLIVIER LE MOAL

The case management system is one of several government efforts seeking to rein in spending on medico-legal claims, and should theoretically have delivered quick improvements while other processes unfold. Once that process is completed, the government is expected to draft legislation updating the 2018 State Liability Amendment Bill, which was rejected by parliament’s justice committee earlier this year.

A total of 15,148 claims were lodged against provincial health departments in 2021/2022, said Oliphant. Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal were the hardest hit and paid out R349.5m and R265.8m, respectively. There was a marked reduction in the claims paid out by the Eastern Cape, which stood at just R38.7m compared with R866m the year before.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

BDliveSA /  🏆 12. in ZA

South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Nasa says spacecraft successfully gave asteroid a big nudgeAsteroid’s orbit altered in Nasa’s first test of planetary defence system
Read more »

‘We knew it was too good to be true’ — Reaction to load-shedding return‘This should only apply to ANC voters,' claimed one user.
Read more »

Cele - Getaway car used in killing of German tourist foundCele - Getaway car used in killing of German tourist foundPolice Minister Bheki Cele says officers in the Mpumalanga province have found the getaway vehicle used following last week's killing of a German tourist.
Read more »

Business Maverick: First Foreign 737 Max Flight Takes to Skies in China After Almost Four YearsBusiness Maverick: First Foreign 737 Max Flight Takes to Skies in China After Almost Four YearsBoeing Co. advanced after Mongolia’s national carrier operated the 737 Max jet in China, marking the first time in almost four years the model was used for commercial services to the country.
Read more »

Families gather for mass cremation of Thai nursery victimsFamilies gather for mass cremation of Thai nursery victimsDevastated families in Thailand gathered Tuesday for the cremation of their loved ones, killed in a nursery massacre that claimed 36 lives -- including those of 24 children.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 01:37:37