NSW failing flood victims, with better, faster response needed: Andrew Constance | JordsBaker natassiazc
The former NSW minister whose electorate was devastated by fires, Andrew Constance, says the state’s disaster response has not improved sinceand it must get better at reaching people quickly as natural disasters become more frequent.
Residents are returning as flood waters recede, surveying the damage and salvaging what they could from their sodden houses. A stench pervades low-lying areas, there are dead animals in the water, and some residents have been offered tetanus shots.Janie Barrett Mr Constance said the government should appoint an independent head of the recovery and rebuilding effort, similar to the appointment of Major General Mick Slater to lead the response to Cyclone Yasi in Queensland. While Resilience NSW is tasked with disaster recovery, it is a government agency.
Mr Krieg also said authorities should use Darwin as a model when rebuilding Lismore. When Cyclone Tracy felled Darwin in 1974, the federal government worked with scientists to develop a new set of building regulations to help homes withstand extreme storms.“Darwin thought they were prepared for cyclones in ′74,” he said. “We thought we were prepared for flooding in 2022, until this event. This particular weather event has broken some people, there’s no doubt about that.
Military personnel were sent to help with everything from bushfire relief to COVID contact tracing because they were disciplined and required to obey orders, but each of these deployments took focus off their main job, which was also important in the context of tension with China and the war in Ukraine.
Mr Shoebridge said the government should fund a new part of the defence organisation with the mission of helping with domestic and regional crises. It would have specially trained personnel and its own equipment, such as commercial-standard ships and helicopters which were cheaper than the military version.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Chefs lead volunteers to feed NSW flood victims in absence of government food reliefVolunteers estimate they have cooked 60,000 meals delivered by jet ski, dinghy and private helicopter
Read more »
Fears Hawkesbury-Nepean river will surpass last week’s flood level as rain batters NSWWeather warnings have been issued for for areas across Sydney, the South Coast, Illawarra and parts of the Tablelands
Read more »
Flood warnings in place for NSW rivers, as heavy rain continuesFLOOD UPDATE: The BoM has issued numerous flood warnings for NSW with heavy rainfall expected to continue today and into Monday in areas affected by last week’s flood activity. LATEST: 9News
Read more »
Flood warnings in place for NSW rivers, as heavy rain continuesSydney's seemingly endless storm will remain for the next couple of days, with heavy rainfall and thunderstorms forecast. For areas already swamped and soaked, residents are being warned to prepare for more major flooding. LATEST: dimityclancey 9News
Read more »
‘I feel very sorry’: NSW Premier concedes flood response was inadequateNew South Wales Premier Dominic Perrottet has conceded the state’s flood response could have been greater as he issued an apology to the communities devastated by the natural disaster.
Read more »
Premier admits there's 'a lot of anger' from flood-affected NSWMr Perrottet said he was 'very sorry' if people felt let down, but pledged that the government and emergency services would continue to work to support people during the recovery phase. 9News
Read more »