SINGAPORE — At least 82 victims have fallen prey to “freecycling” scams since May this year, with the total losses amounting to at least S$2,500, the police said on Tuesday (July 4).
Freecycling is a green movement whereby items that are no longer needed are given away to others for free, instead of being sold or thrown away.
The offers include a variety of items ranging from bicycles to bulky kitchen appliances like refrigerators. To express their interest in the offers, victims would reach out to the scammers using the individual platform’s in-app messaging function. Victims would be enticed by the offer and would reach out to the scammers, often opting for the item to be delivered out of convenience.Scammers would then request the victims to pay a delivery fee or a reservation fee for the item, often with payments made via mobile banking platforms such as PayNow, or through e-wallets such as Singtel Dash or GrabPay.
To fend off such scammers, the police said members of the public should adopt precautionary measures such as using the ScamShield app to avoid falling prey to such scams.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Poland to send 500 police to bolster security at Belarus borderThe police force would join 5,000 border guards and 2,000 soldiers in securing the border. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
At least 82 victims lose $2,500 since May to freecycling scamsVictims realised they were scammed when they did not receive the items. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
‘It feels like a life sentence’: Victims of smiling voyeur worry videos may still be onlineThree of them say they have been betrayed not only by the perpetrator, but also by those whom he sent the videos to. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
‘It feels like a life sentence’: Victims of smiling voyeur worry videos may still be onlineVictims of the man dubbed the smiling voyeur are fearful that videos he took of them on separate occasions in the shower at the organisation they belonged to are floating around online. The three women, who are in their 30s, said they had been betrayed not only by
Read more »
19 wild boars trapped and removed from Bukit Panjang since May after recent attacksExclusion fences have been effective in keeping out wild boars, says Mr Tan Kiat How.
Read more »
19 wild boars in Bukit Panjang put down since May after attacks; fences being installedCattle grids and fences installed at Bangkit Underpass have been observed to be effective at keeping out wild boars. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »