The Competition Bureau opposed the merger but was overruled by the Competition Tribunal and the court.
“You could argue that the minister has a public duty to engage more fulsomely with Canadians regarding this merger and its dynamics,” Bednar said.
The House of Commons committee is meeting Wednesday to hear from experts and the companies involved. MPs will have a chance to question executives from Rogers, Shaw and Videotron this afternoon.Article content Jeanne Pratt, a senior deputy commissioner at the Competition Bureau, told the committee that divesting Freedom to Videotron wasn’t enough to “sufficiently address the anti-competitive effects of the merger” because Videotron wouldn’t have the “assets needed to compete as effectively as Shaw.”Article content
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier in the day that Champagne “continues to look very closely at the file and we will make appropriate decisions in the best interests of Canadians at the right time.”
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
MPs question officials on Rogers-Shaw takeover’s impact on industry’s competitivenessIndustry committee re-examining deal after the proposed divestiture of Shaw’s Freedom Mobile to Quebecor
Read more »
Rogers-Shaw, regulator to duke it out in federal court over $20-billion takeover bidThe proceeding is the antitrust bureau’s latest attempt to kill the deal, saying the transaction will lessen competition in Canada’s telecoms industry
Read more »
Competition Bureau set to try to overturn Rogers-Shaw decision at Fed Appeal CourtThe fate of Rogers Communications Inc.'s proposed takeover of Shaw Communications Inc. goes before the Federal Court of Appeal today as the Competition Bureau seeks to overturn the Competition Tribunal's decision approving the deal.
Read more »
Competition Bureau set to try to overturn Rogers-Shaw decision at Fed Appeal Court - BNN BloombergThe fate of Rogers Communications proposed takeover of Shaw Communications Inc. goes before the Federal Court of Appeal today as the Competition Bureau seeks to overturn the Competition Tribunal's decision approving the deal.
Read more »
Competition Bureau seeks to overturn Rogers-Shaw deal approval in federal court - National | Globalnews.caThe fate of Rogers Communications Inc.'s proposed takeover of Shaw Communications Inc. goes before the Federal Court of Appeal Tuesday.
Read more »
Proposed Rogers-Shaw takeover goes before Federal Court of Appeal todayThe fate of Rogers Communications Inc.'s proposed takeover of Shaw Communications Inc. goes before the Federal Court of Appeal today as the Competition Bureau seeks to overturn the Competition Tribunal's decision approving the deal.
Read more »