Ontario will prioritize hiring more nurses and doctors as well as making investments to help tackle the surgical backlog under a possible new health-care deal with the federal government, Premier Doug Ford said Friday.
Premiers across the country are set to meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in February to negotiate changes to the Canada Health Transfer.
Ford said he's looking for a program that makes sure “we have funding in different areas, no matter if it's hiring new nurses or doctors or working with us on the backlog surgeries just to name a few.”“We'll negotiate that with the federal government and we'll negotiate hard,” Ford said.Trudeau has said the funding will come with strings attached, including sharing health data and outcomes for a national database.
The premiers are set to join Trudeau in Ottawa on Feb. 7, but the prime minister said earlier this week there wouldn't be a deal reached immediately.Estimates suggest a 35 per cent share in 2023-24 would require close to $30 billion in additional transfers to the provinces.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Greenbelt is Ontario’s jurisdiction, Ford says after federal minister raises concerns | National NewswatchNational Newswatch: Canada's most comprehensive site for political news and views. Make it a daily habit.
Read more »
JAY GOLDBERG: Ford is skeptical about FIFA -- and he's rightOntario Premier Doug Ford has finally found a taxpayer boondoggle he isn\u0027t quite ready to buy into.
Read more »
Doug Ford, Sylvia Jones to mark milestone for Brampton medical schoolOntario Premier Doug Ford will “mark a major milestone” for a new medical school in Brampton, Ont. late Friday morning.
Read more »
Doug Ford, Sylvia Jones to mark milestone for Brampton medical schoolOntario Premier Doug Ford will “mark a major milestone” for a new medical school in Brampton, Ont. late Friday morning.
Read more »
Focus on retaining nurses before recruiting from other provinces: associationLast week, Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced that the province will start automatically recognizing the credentials of health-care workers registered in other provinces and territories
Read more »
Ontario expands virtual mental health counselling for youthOntario is putting $4.75 million toward expanding a virtual walk\u002Din counselling program for youth to access mental health services.
Read more »