Boris Johnson has announced a new immigration policy, which includes plans to send illegal migrants crossing the Channel to Rwanda. Sadiya Chowdhury explains what migrants and charities think about the plans. 📺 Sky 501, Freeview 233 and YouTube
The wider strategy will also see a previously-announced plan for the Royal Navy to take over responsibility for tackling people crossing the Channel take effect from today, with £50m in new funding.There will also be a new, nationwide dispersal system in the UK to spread asylum seekers more equally among local authorities and a new reception centre will be opened at Linton-on-Ouse in North Yorkshire.
The Home Office made no suggestion that only men would be sent to Africa - after Welsh Secretary Simon Hart earlier told Sky News that the plan was to deal with male economic migrants while women, children and asylum seekers would still be processed in the way they are now. Mr Johnson said he was seeking to tackle a"barbaric trade in human misery" caused by people traffickers in the Channel, which he predicted could see crossings reach 1,000 a day in a few weeks - after about 600 arrived on Wednesday.Mainly 'men' asylum seekers Rwanda-bound
But last year, the UK government itself said in a global report that"critical voices continued to face heavy restrictions" in the country and that it had raised concerns with the government there. Mr Johnson's announcement came as Home Secretary Priti Patel signed what was described as the"migration and economic development partnership" with Rwanda during a visit to the capital, Kigali.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Navy to patrol Channel, PM confirms, but plans to send migrants to Rwanda branded 'evil'This is the moment Refugees Minister Lord Richard Harrington told LBC there was 'no possibility' refugees were going to be sent to Rwanda just days before the government announced plans to the contrary. Read more:
Read more »
Channel boat migrants will be sent to RwandaMale migrants who cross the Channel in small boats will be sent to Rwanda in a multimillion-pound deal to be announced by Priti Patel today.The Rwandan governme
Read more »
Migrants to be sent to Rwanda to stop people smugglers turning Channel into 'watery grave'Migrants arriving in the UK will be sent more than 6,000 miles to Rwanda under plans to avoid thousands being exploited by 'vile people smugglers', Boris Johnson is set to announce.
Read more »
Channel migrants to be sent to RwandaChannel migrants will be flown more than 5,000 miles to Rwanda to have their asylum claims processed in an ‘offshore’ facility 🔓 This front page story is currently free to read 👇
Read more »
Boris Johnson targets people smugglers in effort to control the Channel with Rwanda dealBoris Johnson will pledge today to end the small boat crisis in the Channel as he announces a package of measures designed to curb illegal migration.The prime
Read more »