MISSED THIS? Action SA leader Herman Mashaba has made a scathing attack on the election body, intimating it appeared hell bent on impeding the party’s hopes at the polls - Mashaba accuses IEC of ‘sabotage’ as legal battle looms
of a “pattern of sabotage”, aimed at impeding the fledgling party’s ability to take part in the upcoming local government elections.“This pattern of sabotage … has been a pattern since our attempt to register as Action SA. I don’t really take this to be an oversight — I take this to be a deliberate effort by the IEC to frustrate our efforts to participate in these elections,” Mashaba said.
The IEC saying it was unable to change the ballots because they had already been printed was also “misleading”, according to Mashaba. He adds that section 190 of the constitution enjoins the commission to manage the elections of national, provincial and municipal legislative bodies in accordance with the national legislation, and to ensure that those elections are free and fair
Beaumont added that the ballot paper contained only the party logo and candidate’s name. The block for the political party name was empty. “The commission insists upon rigid and inflexible compliance with the inclusion of an abbreviated name, even in circumstances where the party’s name is no longer than eight characters. The commission insists on this rigid approach even where the result will be to exclude the name of the party entirely and thereby infringed the right of political parties to participate in and contest elections freely and fairly for voters to be able to make their democratic choices,” Beaumont said.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
WATCH | 'It's sabotage,' says ActionSA as battle with IEC goes to courtPolitical newcomers ActionSA have taken their ongoing battle with the IEC to the Electoral Court.
Read more »
WATCH: IEC in bed with the ANC – Herman MashabaActionSA is heading to the Electoral Court to challenge the IEC’s decision to include its logo but not its name on the ballot paper ahead of municipal polls.
Read more »
Action SA set to take the IEC to court over ballot papers - The Mail & GuardianAction SA is planning to take the IEC to court after it failed to undertake to address its concerns over the draft ballot papers for the local government elections
Read more »
Elections 2021: IEC ‘unlikely’ to add ActionSA's name to ballot listOn Monday, however, the IEC’s Kate Bapela said they had not printed out the final ballot papers yet.
Read more »
WATCH | 'It's sabotage,' says ActionSA as battle with IEC goes to courtPolitical newcomers ActionSA have taken their ongoing battle with the IEC to the Electoral Court.
Read more »
Action SA set to take the IEC to court over ballot papers - The Mail & GuardianAction SA is planning to take the IEC to court after it failed to undertake to address its concerns over the draft ballot papers for the local government elections
Read more »