At least five people were killed in the weeklong strike, dozens were arrested and infrastructure damaged.
Santaco ended its stayaway on Thursday night, a week after withdrawing all minibus taxis in the Western Cape. File photo.Cape Town mayor Geordin Hill-Lewis, Western Cape premier Alan Winde and representatives of the South African National Taxi Council in the Western Cape briefed the media on Friday morning on the resolution to the minibus taxi strike.
Hill-Lewis said the extension of negotiations with Santaco was unnecessary as the final proposal was identical to that drafted earlier. However, he said the resolution came as a “relief”. all minibus taxis in the province.tens of thousands of commuters, including schoolchildren, stranded.A task team has been given 14 days to negotiate further on matters that remain on the table, but Santaco Western Cape first deputy chair Nceba Enge says this is not enough.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
‘A great relief’ — Santaco calls off Western Cape taxi strikeSantaco called off its taxi strike in the Western Cape on Thursday evening, saying it would use the next 14 days to work on releasing vehicles that had been wrongfully impounded.
Read more »
SANTACO calls off Western Cape taxi strike - SABC NewsTaxi umbrella body SANTACO says as part of the resolution reached between the industry and the government, there is an agreement that the next two weeks will be used to work towards the release of the vehicles that were wrongfully impounded.
Read more »
Santaco calls off Western Cape taxi strikeNational taxi council 🚖 Santaco called off the week-long stay away in Cape Town ECR_Newswatch TaxiStrike
Read more »
Taxis to return to Cape Town's roads as Santaco calls off stay-awayOn Thursday, Santaco met with local government authorities to find solutions aimed at putting an end to the stay-away.
Read more »
SANTACO, Western Cape government in heated debate over impounded taxis - SABC NewsA heated debate has ensued between SANTACO First Deputy Chairperson, Nceba Enge and Western Cape Minister for Transport, Ricardo Mackenzie during a media briefing at the provincial legislature in Cape Town on the impounding of taxis that led to a week-long violent taxi strike.
Read more »
Child-friendly restaurants in Cape Town | Cape Town ETCEating out for adults with kids is challenging, to say the least. Here is a roundup of child friendly restaurants in Cape Town that make parenting while out and about a whole lot easier:
Read more »