LEGAL GAMBLE: Zuma’s security deposit raised by R500,000 as court battle with Downer, Maughan begins

South Africa News News

LEGAL GAMBLE: Zuma’s security deposit raised by R500,000 as court battle with Downer, Maughan begins
South Africa Latest News,South Africa Headlines
  • 📰 dailymaverick
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 76 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 34%
  • Publisher: 84%

An extraordinary private case got under way on Monday morning in the Pietermaritzburg High Court, with former president Jacob Zuma gunning for a journalist and a prosecutor related to his protracted arms deal corruption trial.

Zuma has accused Maughan of, in August 2021, unlawfully obtaining and publishing the contents of a confidential medical letter from his doctor relating to his fitness to stand trial in the arms deal graft case – also being heard at the Pietermaritzburg High Court – wherein he is accused number one and French arms manufacturer Thales is accused number two.

Maughan and Downer have both said that the medical letter had already been filed by the court and was thus a public document when it was sent to Maughan.Zuma had initially wanted the cases to be consolidated, but this was rejected by the defendants. The matters will, however, be heard together. The former president has 23 names on his witness list.

Maughan has made an urgent application to have the summons Zuma issued against her set aside, saying the NPA has not issued a nolle prosequi certificate for her . She also contends that Zuma privately prosecuting her is an abuse of process, a violation of the right to free media and a violation of the right to freedom of expression.Downer has also launched an application in the high court to have Zuma’s prosecution of him declared invalid and an abuse of process.

“Now, of course, Mr Zuma disputes that, and he’s entitled to dispute that, but that is Miss Maughan’s case. But as a practical matter, because the urgent judge couldn’t hear the matter this morning because he had a conflict of interest, that is the reason that the matter has not been removed from the roll but stood down,” said Budlender.

After leaving the court precinct, Zuma took to an ANC-branded mobile stage, where he started singing and dancing while singing “Umshini wami” and encouraging his followers to join in. He thanked the ANC in KZN for their support and said he was confident he would be successful in his prosecution of Maughan and Downer.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

dailymaverick /  🏆 3. in ZA

South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Zuma puts up R500k as security as Downer, Maughan matter postponed to FebruaryZuma puts up R500k as security as Downer, Maughan matter postponed to FebruaryThe case got underway in the Pietermaritzburg High Court on Monday morning.
Read more »

Court to hear Zuma, Downer private prosecution matter - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader.Court to hear Zuma, Downer private prosecution matter - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader.The High Court in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, will on Monday hear the private prosecution matter that former president Jacob Zuma filed against Advocate Billy Downer and News24 journalist Karyn Maughan.
Read more »

Jacob Zuma in jovial mood as he prepares to take on journalist and state prosecutorStaunch Jacob Zuma loyalists have gathered at the Pietermaritzburg high court on Monday for his private prosecution of journalist Karyn Maughan and advocate Billy Downer.
Read more »

Jacob Zuma in jovial mood as he prepares to take on journalist and state prosecutorStaunch Jacob Zuma loyalists have gathered at the Pietermaritzburg high court on Monday for his private prosecution of journalist Karyn Maughan and advocate Billy Downer.
Read more »

Zuma says he will 'never obey illegal orders'. | WitnessZuma says he will 'never obey illegal orders'. | Witness🤯 Former president Jacob Zuma, who defied a court order to appear before the Zondo Commission, on Monday told his supporters that he will do it again KarynMaughan JacobZuma Karyn
Read more »

'Free man' Jacob Zuma will attend case against Downer and Maughan — JZ FoundationFormer president Jacob Zuma plans to attend the private prosecution of advocate Billy Downer and journalist Karyn Maughan in the Pietermaritzburg high court on Monday.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 19:10:48