KwaZulu-Natal Premier Willies Mchunu said that Home Affairs also committed to issuing IDs and other relevant documents to the flood victims.
JOHANNESBURG – KwaZulu-Natal Premier Willies Mchunu said that the government has set up a dedicated help desk to assist the bereaved families of the Easter weekend floods.
The disaster claimed the lives of at least 70 people and left hundreds displaced in Durban and its surrounds. Mchunu said the flood damage was estimated at R1.1 billion, with the eThekwini Municipality being the hardest hit.Mchunu said that Home Affairs also committed to issuing IDs and other relevant documents to the flood victims.
“Strict scrutiny will occur to avoid any possible fraudulent activities. Sassa and the Department of Education are also supporting the victims, including by ensuring that children get the uniforms to go to school.”
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
#DurbanFloods damage soars to R1.1bn | Daily NewsKwaZulu-Natal Premier, WIllies Mchunu wants KZN declared a disaster area
Read more »
Damaged caused in KZN floods estimated at R1.1bn, says KZN premierKwaZulu-Natal Premier Senzo Mchunu said that most of the damage caused by the floods was in the eThekwini Municipality.
Read more »
KZN Premier Mchunu to give update on Easter flood disasterHeavy rains battered the province over the Easter weekend, causing mudslides that left thousands displaced and left at least 70 people dead.
Read more »
Newsdeck: KZN floods cause damage of over R1bn, province wants disaster declaredThe cost of damage to various parts of KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) following last week's heavy rains and localised flooding has run into billions of rand, Premier Willies Mchunu said on Monday.
Read more »
KZN floods death toll climbs to 'about' 70KZN acting Premier Sihle Zikalala indicated that final figures will be released later in the day.
Read more »
KZN govt to decide on funeral for flood victims - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader.KZN govt to decide on funeral for flood victims Acting KwaZulu-Natal premier Sihle Zikalala says the provincial government will soon make an announcement regarding the funerals of the 67 victims of the floods in the province.
Read more »
Clean-up, evacuations continue in flood-hit KZNResidents who have lost their houses in the floods have taken shelter at various churches and community halls.
Read more »
KZN flood death toll shoots up to 32 as nine more bodies found at ChatsworthProvincial authorities have confirmed that the current death toll from torrential rains that ravaged KwaZulu-Natal since Monday night is 32.
Read more »
KZN flood death toll shoots up to 32 as nine more bodies found at ChatsworthProvincial authorities have confirmed that the current death toll from torrential rains that ravaged KwaZulu-Natal since Monday night is 32.
Read more »