IOC won't comment on Peng Shuai's disappearance, says 'quiet diplomacy' best solution

South Africa News News

IOC won't comment on Peng Shuai's disappearance, says 'quiet diplomacy' best solution
South Africa Latest News,South Africa Headlines
  • 📰 Newsweek
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 27 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 14%
  • Publisher: 52%

The Chinese tennis player disappeared after accusing a former top official of sexual assault. The IOC and Chinese government refused to comment.

The International Olympic Committee won't comment on the disappearance of professional Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai who vanished after accusing a former top official of sexually assaulting her.

The 35-year-old wrote a lengthy post on her social media on November 2 claiming she was raped three years ago by former top Chinese official Zhang Gaoli in his home despite refusing sex numerous times.The post was quickly deleted from her verified account on Weibo, a Chinese social media platform, but screenshots of the accusation were spread on the internet.

The Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian told reporters that the disappearance was"not a diplomatic question and I'm not aware of the situation."

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

Newsweek /  🏆 468. in US

South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Tennis star Naomi Osaka posts: Where is Peng Shuai?Tennis star Naomi Osaka posts: Where is Peng Shuai?Naomi Osaka says she's shocked that fellow tennis pro Peng Shuai has gone quiet since accusing a former Chinese government official of sexual assault.
Read more »

Tennis world concerned over whereabouts of China's Peng ShuaiTennis world concerned over whereabouts of China's Peng ShuaiA social media post by Peng accusing former vice premier Zhang of sexual assault, a claim that is yet to be verified, was quickly deleted and the Chinese tennis star has since disappeared from view.
Read more »

Chinese Tennis Player Peng Shuai Has Disappeared, and Tennis Stars Are Raising the AlarmChinese Tennis Player Peng Shuai Has Disappeared, and Tennis Stars Are Raising the AlarmTennis player Peng Shuai has disappeared after accusing a former Chinese official of sexual assault, and tennis stars like Naomi Osaka are speaking out.
Read more »

WTA Expresses New Concern Over Safety of China’s Peng Shuai Following EmailWTA Expresses New Concern Over Safety of China’s Peng Shuai Following EmailThe head of the world’s governing body for women’s tennis raised new concerns about Chinese star Peng Shuai after state media posted what it said was an email recanting her sexual-assault accusations against a retired senior Chinese official.
Read more »

Serena Williams joins outcry over China's missing tennis star Peng ShuaiSerena Williams is the latest top athlete to speak out about Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai on Thursday, calling for an investigation into her disappearance amid concern for her safety.Why it matters: Peng, 35, has not been seen in public since she accused China's former vice premier of sexual assault earlier this month. China's state-controlled media suppressed all reporting on the case.Stay on top of the latest market trends and economic insights with Axios Markets. Subscribe for freeThe all
Read more »

Serena Williams latest tennis great to ask: Where is Peng Shuai?Serena Williams latest tennis great to ask: Where is Peng Shuai?Serena Williams is the latest tennis star to ask: Where is Peng Shuai? Peng hasn't been seen in public after making sexual assault allegations against a top Chinese official.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 06:11:05