Hong Kong's Lee faces stern test over US$3.4 billion bid to ease housing shortage

South Africa News News

Hong Kong's Lee faces stern test over US$3.4 billion bid to ease housing shortage
South Africa Latest News,South Africa Headlines
  • 📰 ChannelNewsAsia
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 44 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 21%
  • Publisher: 66%

HONG KONG: A flagship US$3.4 billion plan by Hong Kong to build temporary housing to ease a massive shortage is facing fierce criticism over its high cost and the absence of a longer-term solution in one of the world's most unaffordable property markets. The global financial hub has long struggled with sky

Authorities last month announced eight locations for the homes that would have a unit size of 140 to 330 sq ft to accommodate families of one to five people.

Yau said the scheme would do little to solve the housing shortage - a problem that has dragged on for over two decades - because there are currently 200,000 people living in subdivided flats and the homes are not permanent.A 2020 government report showed 1.65 million people, or 23.6 per cent of the total population of 7.5 million, were living in poverty. That compares with the city's roughly 434,000 millionaires in 2021, according to a Citibank survey.

The government said the Light Public Housing would help tenants of sub-divided flats, as the rent would be HK$780 to HK$2,650 per month, significantly below the current median of HK$5,000 rent for subdivided flats. The lawmakers said the project at Kai Tak in Kowloon, the most controversial among the eight sites, would further pressure already burdened facilities and transport networks in the area.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

ChannelNewsAsia /  🏆 6. in SG

South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Hong Kong's John Lee faces stern test over $4.5b bid to ease housing shortageHong Kong's John Lee faces stern test over $4.5b bid to ease housing shortageHong Kong has long struggled with sky-high house prices, which have rocketed by 350% in 20 years. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »

Berkshire Hathaway sells $138.9 million of shares in China's BYDBerkshire Hathaway sells $138.9 million of shares in China's BYDHONG KONG : Berkshire Hathaway, the investment company owned by Warren Buffett, has sold 4.235 million Hong Kong-listed shares of electric vehicle maker BYD for HK$1.09 billion ($139 million), a stock exchange filing showed.The sale on February 3 lowered Berkshire's holdings in BYD's issued H-shares to 11
Read more »

'Please define affordable' — Singaporeans on PM Lee's “affordable home” reassurance - Singapore News'Please define affordable' — Singaporeans on PM Lee's “affordable home” reassurance - Singapore NewsSINGAPORE — In a recent post, Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong addressed public housing costs in Singapore. “Public housing is an issue close to the hearts of most Singaporeans,” he wrote on Wednesday (Feb 8). He also mentioned the various ideas and possible solutions Members of Parliament are bringing to the table, saying, “Some …
Read more »

Hong Hui Fang reveals scammer who steals her photos to promote his business - Singapore NewsHong Hui Fang reveals scammer who steals her photos to promote his business - Singapore News“Do not believe it! do not buy! Do not use it!” the actress informed others.
Read more »

Charmaine Sheh makes TVB comeback after 7 yearsCharmaine Sheh makes TVB comeback after 7 yearsAfter months of speculation about Hong Kong actress Charmaine Sheh making a TVB comeback, HK01 reported on Thursday that she will be returning to the broadcaster for a new drama, News Queen. This will be Sheh's first TVB show in seven years since A Time Of Love 2 in...
Read more »

World should 'calm down' over China Covid-19 variantsWorld should 'calm down' over China Covid-19 variantsHONG KONG - The world should “calm down” about the possibility of new Covid-19 variants circulating in China, leading Chinese scientist George Gao said. A paper by Dr Gao and colleagues published in the Lancet medical journal on Wednesday showed that no new variants had...
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 11:40:15