In a written update to parliamentary committees, Godfrey Lebeya says a draft application for their appointment had been compiled
A draft application for the appointment of forensic chartered accountants to help law enforcement agencies get to the bottom of the Steinhoff scandal will be finalised soon, Hawks boss Lt-Gen Godfrey Lebeya says.
Civil society groups and various experts have previously suggested that the Hawks and other law enforcement agencies do not have the capacity to investigate such complex cases. At the centre of the saga is former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste, one of the senior executives who was at the helm of the retailer ahead of its collapse in December 2017.
In March, CEO Louis du Preez reluctantly released the names of other former executives allegedly responsible for about €6.5bn of fictitious deals at the retailer. This was after the parliamentary committees adopted a resolution to issue a subpoena to force the company to reveal the names. Du Preez and chair Heather Sonn argued at the time that doing so would imperil future prosecutions and violate European privacy laws.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Police 'extortion' racket uncovered by the HawksA police detective and his female accomplice who were bust in a sting operation for allegedly trying to extort R15,000 from her boyfriend will appear in court on Monday.
Read more »
Police 'extortion' racket uncovered by the HawksA police detective and his female accomplice who were bust in a sting operation for allegedly trying to extort R15‚000 from her boyfriend will appear in court on Monday.
Read more »
Police 'extortion' racket uncovered by the HawksA police detective and his female accomplice who were bust in a sting operation for allegedly trying to extort R15,000 from her boyfriend will appear in court on Monday.
Read more »
Officer nabbed for taking bribe to make ‘rape charge’ disappearIf anything similar has happened to you, the Hawks would love to hear about it.
Read more »
Hawks nab 'dirty' eThekwini municipal officials over R208m waste tenderTwo senior eThewkini municipality officials and seven service providers were arrested by the Hawks on Tuesday over an allegedly illegally awarded R208-million waste tender.
Read more »
Hawks nab 'dirty' eThekwini municipal officials over R208m waste tenderTwo senior eThewkini municipality officials and seven service providers were arrested by the Hawks on Tuesday over an allegedly illegally awarded R208-million waste tender.
Read more »
Hawks nab 'dirty' eThekwini municipal officials over R208m waste tenderTwo senior eThewkini municipality officials and seven service providers were arrested by the Hawks on Tuesday over an allegedly illegally awarded R208-million waste tender.
Read more »
Hawks nab high-ranking eThekwini officials, businessmen | Sunday TribuneHigh-ranking eThekwini Municipality officials and businessmen were among the nine people arrested by the Hawks on Tuesday morning.
Read more »
Suspended Hawks general back on job...but she isn't off the hook yetThe Hawks have confirmed that Major-General Zinhle Mnonopi has returned to work despite a disciplinary hearing against her not being finalised yet.
Read more »