Outraged rebel police officers paralyzed Port-au-Prince on Thursday, roaring through the streets on motorcycles in protest of a slew of killings of police officers by Haitian gangs.
More than a hundred protesters blocked roads, shot guns into the air, and broke through gates in the capital's airport and the Prime Minister's house, with tensions escalating throughout the day.
His unelected successor has asked the United Nations to lead a military intervention, but no country has been willing to put boots on the ground. Many demanded tougher crackdowns on the gangs, and called for the end to the current government of Ariel Henry, which many Haitians view as illegitimate. Demonstrators broke down one of the gates outside Henry's home and a barrier at the Port-au-Prince airport, where he planned to make an appearance this afternoon.
In addition to the bodies displayed by the gang, a number of officers were killed last week in a firefight with gangs in a neighbourhood that was once considered relatively safe.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Port of Prince Rupert's cargo volumes dropped in 2022\u0022Global trade and supply chains are changing rapidly and we must adapt,\u0022 Shaun Stevenson, the port CEO said.
Read more »
Canada sharing Haiti sanctions evidence, in bid to convince UN peers to freeze elitesOttawa is sharing confidential dossiers in a bid to convince countries like France to join its efforts to sanction Haiti's elites, says Canada's ambassador to the United Nations. Violent, feuding gangs have taken over the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince since last summer.
Read more »
Lebanon’s top prosecutor files charges against judge probing Beirut port explosion, source saysThe judicial source said Lebanon’s top public prosecutor also ordered the release of all those detained in connection with the devastating 2020 explosion
Read more »
Lebanon's chief prosecutor orders all suspects in 2020 port explosion released | CBC NewsLebanon's top prosecutor ordered all suspects detained in the investigation into the deadly 2020 port blast in Beirut released, a lawyer for two detainees and judicial officials said on Wednesday.
Read more »
Anger soars in Beirut amid standoff over 2020 port blast probeProtesters, including relatives of the victims of the explosion, chanted slogans against senior officials, and tried to break into Beirut’s Palace of Justice
Read more »
Retired Cape Breton NHLer Aaron Johnson transitions to hockey operations with Columbus Blue Jackets | SaltWirePort Hawkesbury product spent 18 in the professional ranks
Read more »