Authorities have warned of further downpours on Thursday of up to 40mm per hour. Read more at straitstimes.com.
There are fears the death toll could climb further.The disaster has severed roads, collapsed houses, cut power and displaced over 10,000 people in that region.after Cyclone Gabrielle bore down on its northern coast on Sunday and several people are still missing in areas saturated by floodwaters.
The cyclone has faded into the Pacific, but New Zealand’s MetService warned of further downpours on Thursday of up to 40mm per hour in eastern areas already flooded. National police said in a statement on Thursday that one person is “believed to have died after being caught in flood water” in the Gisborne region.Meanwhile, military helicopters have had to winch hundreds of stranded storm survivors to safety from rooftops surrounded by rising floodwaters.
Government officials estimate 10,500 people have so far been displaced by the cyclone with 9,000 made homeless in eastern regions alone. AFP
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
New Zealand declares national state of emergency due to Cyclone GabrielleWELLINGTON — New Zealand declared a national state of emergency for only the third time in its history on Tuesday (Feb 14) as Cyclone Gabrielle caused widespread flooding, landslides and huge ocean swells, forcing evacuations and stranding people on roof tops. 'It has been a big night for New Zealanders across the country, but particularly in the upper North Island......
Read more »
Cyclone Gabrielle moves away from New Zealand, leaves two dead and huge clean upThe country has started to assess the damage caused by significant flooding, landslides. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Cyclone Gabrielle moves away from New Zealand, recovery efforts beginWELLINGTON: Cyclone Gabrielle weakened and moved away from New Zealand on Wednesday (Feb 15) as the country started to assess the damage caused by significant flooding, landslides and high winds that left three people dead and displaced thousands from their homes. Gabrielle, which
Read more »
Air New Zealand resumes services to all airports after cyclone-led cancellationsThe carrier also said it added extra services to multiple cities to its international network. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Cyclone Gabrielle moves away from New Zealand, leaves two dead and huge clean-upWELLINGTON - Cyclone Gabrielle weakened and moved away from New Zealand on Wednesday (Feb 15) as the country started to assess the damage caused by significant flooding, landslides and high winds that left two people dead. Gabrielle, which reached New Zealand on Sunday before making its way down the east coast of the North Island, cut off a number of...
Read more »
Air New Zealand resumes services to all airports after cyclone-led cancellationsAir New Zealand resumed services to all airports on Wednesday (Feb 15), including those in the heavily impacted regions of New Plymouth, Napier, and Gisborne, after Cyclone Gabrielle led to 821 flight cancellations and affected 49,000 customers. The airline experienced minor disruptions in the morning during the resumption of services as it worked through operationalising the routes, it said. The...
Read more »