Archie was found unconscious at home with a ligature over his head on April 7.
The mother of Archie Battersbee, Hollie Dance, left, leaves the Royal Courts of Justice in London, Monday, July 25, 2022.Barts Health NHS Trust, which runs the Royal London Hospital, said it understands the motivation behind the family’s request but a previous High Court ruling requires that Archie remain in the hospital while his treatment is ended. The boy’s condition is so unstable that moving him would hasten the deterioration of his condition, the trust said.
“As directed by the courts, we will work with the family to prepare for the withdrawal of treatment, but we will make no changes to Archie’s care until the outstanding legal issues are resolved,” Alistair Chesser, chief medical officer of the trust, said in a statement. Archie’s parents took their campaign to prolong his treatment all the way to the U.K. Supreme Court. After exhausting their legal options in Britain, they asked the European Court of Human Rights to intervene.
The ECHR late Wednesday said it would not “interfere with the decisions of the national courts to allow the withdrawal of life-sustaining treatment from to proceed.”
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
U.K. family loses Supreme Court bid to extend boy’s life supportArchie’s treatment had been due to end at noon on Tuesday, but the hospital said it would await the decision of the Supreme Court
Read more »
Family asks UK's top court to intervene in life support caseBritain’s Supreme Court says it has received an appeal from the family of a brain-damaged 12-year-old boy whose life support treatment had been due to end on Tuesday.
Read more »
VIDEO: B.C. mayor, family shaken after hail the size of grapefruits falls in Alberta - Terrace StandardCourtenay Mayor Bob Wells and his family are safe, but their van was severely damaged in an Alberta hailstorm Monday afternoon.
Read more »
B.C. woman issues plea for family doctor in newspaper adA Victoria-area senior bought a newspaper classified ad to beg for help to find a family doctor for her husband
Read more »
Central Saanich seniors without a family doctor turn to newspaper ad to get prescriptions filledJanet and Michael Mort were driven to take out the advertisement after their “wonderful” family doctor retired in December and they were unable to get their prescriptions renewed.
Read more »