Many Filipinos expressed rage over what they called double standards in implementing quarantine protocols.
The public particularly reacted to the cases of National Capital Region Police Office director Maj. Gen. Debold Sinas and Senator Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III.
Sinas drew flak after photos of his birthday “mañanita” went viral on social media, showing him accepting roses from his guests, blowing candles on a birthday cake, fist-bumping another officer, and his guests drinking without observing physical distancing. Pimentel, meanwhile, was called out by officials of the Makati Medical Center for endangering the lives of medical frontliners when he went to the hospital to accompany his pregnant wife while supposed to be under quarantine as he was waiting for the results of his COVID-19 test.
Also reportedly left unpunished was Overseas Workers Welfare Administration Deputy Administrator Margaux “Mocha” Uson, who gathered and met migrant Filipino workers who were quarantined in Batangas.“So it’s really a matter of perception. Greater number ‘yung mga tao sa masasabi nating nasa lower income level, o ‘yung mga matatawag nating mahihirap na nahuhuli sa mga violations but it doesn’t mean at all that there is an unfair application of the law.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Manila builds its first Muslim cemetery – The Manila TimesTHE Manila government on Wednesday began the construction of the city’s first Muslim cemetery and cultural hall estimated at P50 million. Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso led the groundbreaking ceremony at the Manila South Cemetery on Wednesday morning. The Muslim cemetery covers about 2,400 square meters of land exclusive for the Mohammedans. The local government […]
Read more »
More stringent lockdown in Metro Manila still possible -- Palace – The Manila TimesMETRO Manila may return to a “more stringent” community quarantine after July 31 if the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) cases in the capital region continue to spike, Malacañang said on Wednesday. Palace spokesman Harry Roque Jr. raised the possibility of placing Metro Manila under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ), or to a more stricter community quarantine […]
Read more »
AirAsia Philippines sees 'start of recovery' in air travel – The Manila TimesLow-cost carrier AirAsia Philippines witnessed “improvement” in its June operations after the government eased restrictions on air travel. In a statement, the company said seats sold last month jumped by 30 percent compared to May figures. Strong demand was seen for routes from Manila to Puerto Princesa and Davao. Flights to and from Davao, in […]
Read more »
Kanye West criticizes Harriet Tubman at his political rally – The Manila TimesCOLUMBIA, S.C.: Rapper Kanye West — in his first event since declaring himself a presidential candidate — ranted against Harriet Tubman, saying the Underground Railroad conductor “never actually freed the slaves, she just had them work for other white people,” comments that drew opposition shouts from some. Tubman, an African American who escaped slavery, helped […]
Read more »
Saudi king, 84, admitted to hospital – The Manila TimesRIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s 84-year-old ruler King Salman was admitted to hospital in Riyadh on Monday for gall bladder inflammation, the royal court said, prompting the postponement of the Iraqi prime minister’s high-profile visit. It is rare for Saudi Arabia to report on the health of the aging monarch, who has ruled the top oil exporter and the Arab […]
Read more »
Palace counts on DOJ to completely probe deaths of inmates at New Bilibid PrisonMalacañang is counting on the Department of Justice (DOJ) to conduct a full-blown investigation into the reported deaths of inmates at the state penitentiary to dispel doubts of foul play. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. (YANCY
Read more »