Despite coronavirus fear, L.A. Marathon is a go but with precautions

South Africa News News

Despite coronavirus fear, L.A. Marathon is a go but with precautions
South Africa Latest News,South Africa Headlines
  • 📰 latimes
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 65 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 29%
  • Publisher: 82%

Despite coronavirus concerns, the L.A. Marathon is expected to go on as scheduled Sunday morning. But with precautions from county health officials.

the L.A. Marathon is expected to go on as scheduled Sunday morning in a 26.2-mile race from the Chavez Ravine to Santa Monica.L.A. County health officials recommended that spectators who are sick to stay home and that anyone who attends to stay 6 feet away from others. Runners were advised to wash their hands before the race and to not shake hands with other participants or the public. Hand sanitizer will also be available for runners along the course.

“We are not currently recommending the suspension of any large public events, including the L.A. Marathon,” Barbara Ferrer, director of the county Public Health Department, said in a statement Thursday. “The public can continue to enjoy all that L.A. County has to offer, including this historic event.”Officials have said they don’t see enough of a public health threat to cancel the marathon.

“We are actively monitoring the situation and communicating directly with participants via social channels, email and our website to update them as we learn more,” Murphy Reinschreiber, chief operating officer of the McCourt Foundation, which organizes the event, said in an email last week. “Runner safety is paramount and will continue to be our top priority.”

The marathon is one of the largest in the country. Runners traverse the city, starting at Dodger Stadium and ending near the Santa Monica Pier.“This is a big popular event, but I remain concerned & don’t think it’s worth the risk,” wrote Councilman Mike Bonin on Twitter.

The major open north-south routes will be Bundy Drive between Olympic Boulevard and Wilshire Boulevard; the 405 Freeway; Fairfax Avenue between Olympic Boulevard and Santa Monica Boulevard; the 101 Freeway; and the 110 Freeway.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

latimes /  🏆 11. in US

South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Los Angeles Marathon To Continue As Planned Despite Coronavirus FearsLos Angeles Marathon To Continue As Planned Despite Coronavirus FearsThe Los Angeles Marathon will go on this weekend, despite increased concerns about the coronavirus outbreak. “We continue to monitor the situation and follow the guidance of local, state and …
Read more »

Coronavirus fears cancel many events, but L.A. Marathon and Coachella are still onCoronavirus fears cancel many events, but L.A. Marathon and Coachella are still onCoronavirus concerns have led to the cancellation of many events, but the L.A. Marathon and the Coachella music festival are still on.
Read more »

Michael Milken's Beverly Hills conference postponed til July amid coronavirus fearsMichael Milken's Beverly Hills conference postponed til July amid coronavirus fearsMichael Milken's annual investment conference in Beverly Hills is postponed til July amid coronavirus fears.
Read more »

AFL-CIO scraps Orlando presidential forumAFL-CIO scraps Orlando presidential forumThe AFL-CIO today canceled a Florida forum featuring Democratic presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden due to the “ongoing coronavirus outbreak'
Read more »

Warriors to play despite coronavirus warningWarriors to play despite coronavirus warningThe Golden State Warriors will take on the Philadelphia 76ers in San Francisco later today despite local health officials warning against large gatherings over coronavirus fears.
Read more »

Lakers' LeBron James says he won't play games without fans amid coronavirus concernsLakers' LeBron James says he won't play games without fans amid coronavirus concernsDespite growing fears over the coronavirus, LeBron James was clear: 'If I show up to an arena and there are no fans in there, I ain’t playing.'
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 03:19:24