WELLINGTON - Recovery efforts continue in hard-hit areas of New Zealand on Friday after Cyclone Gabrielle caused...
on Friday after Cyclone Gabrielle caused chaos, leaving at least seven people dead, displacing 10,000 people in the country’s most damaging storm in decades.
Gabrielle, which hit New Zealand on Sunday before making its way down the east coast of the North Island, cut off entire towns, washed away farms, bridges and livestock, and inundated homes, stranding people on rooftops. The death toll is now at seven after a second volunteer firefighter, Craig Stevens, died in hospital after being caught in a landslide near Auckland earlier in the week and a body was found near Napier.Communication and access to a number of areas remain difficult, and surveillance flights are being undertaken to survey the damage and identify those who may be isolated.
Ms Kiri Allan, Minister of Regional Development who also lives in one of the most badly affected areas, told 1News that supermarkets were now better stocked, supplies had been reaching some of the most isolated communities and the phone network was even returning in small areas.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Cyclone in New Zealand leaves 7 dead, trail of chaosAuthorities are warning that the country needs to prepare for the death toll to rise. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Cyclone in New Zealand leaves 7 dead, trail of chaosWELLINGTON — Recovery efforts continue in hard-hit areas of New Zealand on Friday (Feb 17) after Cylcone Gabrielle caused chaos leaving at least seven people dead, displacing 10,000 people in the country's most damaging storm in decades. Gabrielle, which hit New Zealand on Sunday before making its way down the east coast of the North Island, cut off entire towns,...
Read more »
Cyclone Gabrielle moves away from New Zealand, leaves two dead and huge clean-upWELLINGTON - Cyclone Gabrielle weakened and moved away from New Zealand on Wednesday (Feb 15) as the country started to assess the damage caused by significant flooding, landslides and high winds that left two people dead. Gabrielle, which reached New Zealand on Sunday before making its way down the east coast of the North Island, cut off a number of...
Read more »
Air New Zealand resumes services to all airports after cyclone-led cancellationsAir New Zealand resumed services to all airports on Wednesday (Feb 15), including those in the heavily impacted regions of New Plymouth, Napier, and Gisborne, after Cyclone Gabrielle led to 821 flight cancellations and affected 49,000 customers. The airline experienced minor disruptions in the morning during the resumption of services as it worked through operationalising the routes, it said. The...
Read more »
Cyclone forces postponement of New Zealand domestic ODI finalThe final of the Ford Trophy, New Zealand's main domestic one-day competition, has been postponed from Sunday because of the impact of Cyclone Gabrielle on players from the Central Districts team, New Zealand Cricket said on Thursday.The devastating cyclone hit New Zealand last weekend before making its w
Read more »
Death toll rises to 5 after New Zealand cycloneWELLINGTON: A fifth person has died in New Zealand in the aftermath of Cyclone Gabrielle, police said on Thursday (Feb 16), amid fears the death toll could climb further. More heavy r
Read more »