WELLINGTON: New Zealand said on Monday (Feb 20) that it was likely to cost billions of dollars to recover from Cyclone Gabrielle as the national state of emergency was e
Prime Minister Chris Hipkins confirmed that 11 people had so far died in the wake of the devastating flash flooding and high winds which lashed the North Island last week.
Hipkins has warned that the final death toll could rise, but the number of people who police were still looking to contact had fallen to about 2,300. The raging torrent of floodwater the cyclone unleashed swept away or badly damaged homes, businesses, bridges and roads across New Zealand.Robertson warned the money pledged so far will only"scratch the surface" of the final figure needed, which he predicts will cost taxpayers"billions of dollars".
According to Hipkins, 15,000 North Island households remain without power, mostly in the east coast cities of Gisborne and Napier, where floodwaters poured into many homes.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
New Zealand expects Cyclone Gabrielle recovery to cost billions as death toll risesIt's expected to be around $11 billion, on par with the 2011 Christchurch earthquake. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
New Zealand police reach more people previously not contactable after Cyclone GabrielleWELLINGTON: As New Zealand starts its long road to recovery following the devastation from Cyclone Gabrielle, the number of people still not reachable has fallen as communications in hard hit areas improve, the country's police commissioner said on Monday (Feb 20). The cyclone hit the North Island's northe
Read more »
New Zealand police reach more people previously not contactable after Cyclone GabriellePolice say they have managed to reach about 60% of those who had been uncontactable. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Cyclone death toll in New Zealand rises to 11 as recovery continuesSYDNEY: The death toll from Cyclone Gabrielle in New Zealand climbed to 11 on Sunday (Feb 19) as thousands of people remained missing a week after the storm struck the country's North Island.
Read more »
New Zealand's cyclone death toll at 11, thousands still missingSYDNEY - The death toll from Cyclone Gabrielle in New Zealand climbed to 11 on Sunday (Feb 19) as thousands of people remained missing a week after the storm struck the country's North Island. The cyclone hit the island's northernmost region on Feb 12 and tracked down the east coast, inflicting widespread devastation. Prime minister Chris Hipkins has called Gabrielle...
Read more »