Cops took 5 hours to warn dance hall shooter was on the run

South Africa News News

Cops took 5 hours to warn dance hall shooter was on the run
South Africa Latest News,South Africa Headlines
  • 📰 CP24
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 53 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 25%
  • Publisher: 67%

Lost in the aftermath of the Monterey Park, California, ballroom dance hall shooting that left 11 people dead is an alarming fact: It took five hours for authorities to alert the public that the gunman was on the loose Saturday night.

Even after the 72-year-old shooter brought a submachine gun-style weapon into another nearby dance hall about a half-hour later, a potential attack thwarted by a hero who grabbed the weapon and chased the man away, it would be hours more before police held a news conference to announce the suspect was still at large.

“What took so long?” said Higgins, an adjunct professor at New York’s John Jay College of Criminal Justice. “Maybe they were still doing their investigation. Maybe they didn’t have a good handle on what they had. But if they didn’t know, they should have erred on the side of caution and put this out.”

Authorities said the first call about the shooting at the Star Ballroom Dance Studio came in Saturday at 10:22 p.m. local time and officers responded within three minutes. Monterey Park police said it took several minutes for officers — several of whom were rookies on the force — to assess the chaotic scene and look for the gunman, who had already fled.

The Associated Press began telephoning the Monterey Park police and fire departments and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department shortly before the RMG News alert, and kept calling for nearly three hours. Monterey Park police never responded. A sheriff’s official confirmed to the AP there were nine dead shortly before 2:36 a.m. Sunday, when the AP published an alert.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

CP24 /  🏆 30. in CA

South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Suspect in Monterey Park dance studio massacre was frequent visitorSuspect in Monterey Park dance studio massacre was frequent visitorMONTEREY PARK — The 72\u002Dyear\u002Dold suspected gunman in Saturday night’s mass shooting at a Los Angeles\u002Darea dance studio had been a regular there, giving informal…
Read more »

Monterey Park massacre death toll climbs to 11 as police seek motiveMonterey Park massacre death toll climbs to 11 as police seek motiveThe death toll from the dance hall massacre blamed on a 72-year-old gunman has risen to 11 on after one of the 10 people who were wounded died.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 08:26:54