Beyond the Breaking News

Clashes continue in eastern Congo days after attack on civilians - SABC News

Congo News

Clashes continue in eastern Congo days after attack on civilians - SABC News
South Africa Latest News,South Africa Headlines

M23 rebels say that they intend to seize power in Congo's capital Kinshasa

Fighting between M23 rebels and pro-Congo militias was underway on Sunday in Nyabiondo, about 100 km north of Goma in eastern Congo, residents said, days after a nearby attack left a heavy civilian death toll, according to the United Nations and an NGO.

The Rwanda-backed rebel group M23 has seized swathes of mineral-rich eastern Congo since the start of the year. “M23 has taken Nyabiondo since 11 am , following clashes,” Kipanda Biiri, an official from the local administrative authority who was fleeing the area, told Reuters. “The enemy opened a large-scale assault on Nyabiondo this morning,” said Telesphore Mitondeke, a civil society rapporteur in Masisi, the area where Nyabiondo is located, referring to M23 rebels. “For the moment there is shooting from every direction in the centre of Nyabiondo, where the clashes are taking place.” The fighting follows clashes last week between M23 and a pro-Congolese government militia in the village of Tambi, about 18 km northeast of the town of Masisi, which culminated in an attack overnight on March 5 leaving many civilian casualties, according to the head of a local NGO. An internal United Nations memo seen by Reuters on Sunday said between 13 and 40 civilians were believed to have been killed in that attack. Separately on Sunday, a spokesperson for the rebel alliance that includes M23 said on X that one of the pro-government militias that operates in eastern Congo had switched sides and joined its alliance. The spokesman for the group that militia had been a part of said in a statement that the rest of the group remained loyal to the Congolese government and its army. M23 rebels say that they intend to seize power in Congo’s capital Kinshasa. They also accuse Congo’s government of not living up to previous peace deals and fully integrating Congolese Tutsis into the army and administration. The group’s spread into new mineral-rich territories this year also gives it scope to acquire more mining revenue, analysts say.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

SABC News Online /  🏆 32. in ZA

 

South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

51 civilians killed in east Congo village attack - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world,51 civilians killed in east Congo village attack - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world,Late on Monday, the CODECO group attacked the Djaiba group of villages.
Read more »

M23 rebels advance into eastern Congo's strategic city of Bukavu - SABC NewsM23 rebels advance into eastern Congo's strategic city of Bukavu - SABC NewsM23's arrival has been welcomed by some in Bukavu, who hope the rebels will restore order
Read more »

Congo-Kinshasa: DR Congo's Crisis - Time for Dialogue, Not WarCongo-Kinshasa: DR Congo's Crisis - Time for Dialogue, Not WarThe DR Congo's ongoing crisis, fueled by the M23's advances and regional rivalries, demands urgent action to prevent further escalation
Read more »

Lungile Binza appointed SABC Chief Operating Officer - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world,Lungile Binza appointed SABC Chief Operating Officer - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world,Binza has been serving as the SABC's Acting COO since February 2024.
Read more »

Deadly illness in Congo may be malaria, health officials say - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports,Deadly illness in Congo may be malaria, health officials say - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports,The WHO said it had identified 1 096 cases and 60 deaths fitting the definition of the illness.
Read more »

Germany stops new aid to Rwanda over Congo conflict - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world,Germany stops new aid to Rwanda over Congo conflict - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world,Rwanda's foreign ministry called Germany's action 'wrong and counterproductive'.
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-24 14:32:46