China seeks to stop UN rights chief from releasing Xinjiang report: document

South Africa News News

China seeks to stop UN rights chief from releasing Xinjiang report: document
South Africa Latest News,South Africa Headlines
  • 📰 CTVNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 46 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 22%
  • Publisher: 99%

China is asking the United Nations human rights chief to bury a highly-anticipated report on human rights violations in Xinjiang, according to a Chinese letter seen by Reuters and confirmed by diplomats from three countries who received it.

United Nations High Commissioner Michelle Bachelet has faced severe criticism from civil society for being too soft on China during a May visit and has since said she will refrain from seeking a second term for personal reasons.But before she leaves at the end of August, she has pledged to publish a report into the western Chinese region of Xinjiang. Rights groups accuse Beijing of abuses against Xinjiang's Uyghur inhabitants, including the mass use of forced labor in internment camps.

Liu said that nearly 100 countries had recently expressed their support to China on Xinjiang-related issues "and their objection to interference in China's internal affairs under the pretext of human rights." The spokesperson said attempts by some countries to "smear China's image" using the Xinjiang issue would not succeed.

The report is set to address China's treatment of its Uyghur minority. A team of rights experts began gathering evidence for it more than three years ago but its release has been delayed for months for unclear reasons. It was not clear who edited it or why. The diplomat who signed the letter said the softer version was the final one.China, like other countries, sometimes seeks to drum up support for its political statements within the Geneva-based rights council through diplomatic memos which others are asked to support.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

CTVNews /  🏆 1. in CA

South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Xi’s visit to Xinjiang shows how China will seek to reshape global views of Uyghur regionXi’s visit to Xinjiang shows how China will seek to reshape global views of Uyghur regionA new campaign to reframe perceptions of Xinjiang emphasized development and ‘ethnic unity’ to mitigate criticism over human rights abuses
Read more »

China threatens 'strong measures' if Pelosi visits TaiwanChina threatens 'strong measures' if Pelosi visits TaiwanChina will take 'resolute and strong measures' should the Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi proceed with reported plans to visit Taiwan, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said Tuesday.
Read more »

Authorities in south China apologize over COVID-19 break-insAuthorities in south China apologize over COVID-19 break-insAuthorities in southern China have apologized for breaking into the homes of people who had been taken to a quarantine hotel in the latest example of heavy-handed virus-prevention measures that have sparked a rare public backlash.
Read more »

Authorities in south China apologize over COVID-19 break-insAuthorities in south China apologize over COVID-19 break-insAuthorities in southern China apologized for breaking into the homes of people quarantined for being suspected of contracting COVID-19 in the latest example of heavy-handed measures that have sparked a rare public backlash.
Read more »

Yellen calls out China trade practices in South Korea visitYellen calls out China trade practices in South Korea visitU.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said Tuesday the U.S. and South Korea should deepen their trade ties to avoid letting other countries use their market positions to unfair advantage — calling out China by name.
Read more »

China Sail is no more; McDonald's on the way to Fifth and Tabor siteChina Sail is no more; McDonald's on the way to Fifth and Tabor siteFast-food chain building its seventh and eighth Prince George restaurants
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 03:14:19