Chadian rebel group the Front for Change and Concord in Chad (FACT) has announced an end to a ceasefire it declared in 2021, accusing the interim authorities of bombing one of its bases in what it called an act of war.
Friday's move suggests a possible return to all-out hostilities between the military-led government and FACT - fighting which led to the battlefield death of president Idriss Deby in 2021, after which his son Mahamat Idriss Deby seized power.
Since then as interim president Deby has sought to shore up a detente with Chad's various rebel groups and hasBut in its statement, FACT accused the military of bombing its base in an attack on Wednesday that it said had killed three people. "The military junta in power ... has just declared war on us," it said. "In view of this, FACT breaks the unilateral ceasefire it declared in April 2021, and reassures the junta that its reaction will be quick and unrestrained."Any signs of escalation will be closely watched. Chad is a key power in central Africa and a longtime Western ally against Islamist militants across the Sahel region.
FACT fighters crossed the border from Libya in April 2021 to take a stand against the elder Deby, whose 30-year rule they opposed. They reached within 300 km of the capital N'Djamena before being pushed back by the army.
South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Chad fines Airtel subsidiary $8 mln for deteriorating networkChad has fined a local subsidiary of Airtel 5 billion CFA francs ($8.3 million) for breaking investment commitments, saying an audit showed its network quality was deteriorating, the African country's telecoms regulator said on Friday.
Read more »
Reviving the spirit of the United Democratic Front: Energising democracy for a better South AfricaThe UDF's legacy continues to guide us as we navigate the complexities of modern South Africa
Read more »