AGE OF ACCOUNTABILITY: Hawks arrest Eastern Cape trio in alleged R40m government buildings rental scam

South Africa News News

AGE OF ACCOUNTABILITY: Hawks arrest Eastern Cape trio in alleged R40m government buildings rental scam
South Africa Latest News,South Africa Headlines
  • 📰 dailymaverick
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 56 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 26%
  • Publisher: 84%

The leaders of the Public Assets Community-Based Tenants and Owners’ Association appeared in court on Tuesday for their alleged involvement in a criminal enterprise that saw them pocketing R40-million in five years by illegally renting out government ...

Three men who headed an organisation that allegedly made R40-million in five years by renting out government buildings in Mthatha made a brief appearance in the Mthatha Commercial Crimes Court on Tuesday.

Earlier on Tuesday morning, before the three men appeared in court, their cellphones were confiscated and handed to investigators. Providing background to the matter, Mgolodela said that in December 2017, Pactoa began evicting tenants who were paying rent to the ECDC. They then took over 11 properties, including the Windsor Hotel, and rented these to tenants who paid them and not the ECDC.

A statement issued by the ECDC at the time read:“The conclusion of this agreement is a breath of fresh air for the Mthatha region, which is in dire need of development, particularly within the property development sphere. Tenants at the Windsor Hotel in Mthatha leave with their belongings after the Hawks raid the premises. .“While the normal legal processes remain in place to evict all those occupying the ECDC’s properties illegally, the board and executive team embarked on a strategy to engage Pactoa with the view of finding a solution and addressing the impasse. These negotiations were held in good faith and without prejudice to both parties,” Ayanda Wakaba, the CEO of the ECDC, said at the time.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

dailymaverick /  🏆 3. in ZA

South Africa Latest News, South Africa Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

What Ramaphosa told the public protector about Phala PhalaPresident Cyril Ramaphosa has told the public protector that she has no jurisdiction to probe the Phala Phala farm scandal as the complaint was laid over two years after the theft took place.
Read more »

What Ramaphosa told the public protector about Phala PhalaPresident Cyril Ramaphosa has told the public protector that she has no jurisdiction to probe the Phala Phala farm scandal as the complaint was laid over two years after the theft took place.
Read more »

Impact Series | Maxtec and Orca Security - why public cloud is risky businessImpact Series | Maxtec and Orca Security - why public cloud is risky businessMaxtec's Praven Pillay and Orca Security's Sagy Kratu join TechCentral's James Erasmus for a fascinating conversation about security in the public cloud.
Read more »

OPEN LETTER: SA public diplomacy chief Clayson Monyela’s views on Ukraine expose government’s foreign policy thinkingOPEN LETTER: SA public diplomacy chief Clayson Monyela’s views on Ukraine expose government’s foreign policy thinkingClayson Monyela, the Department of International Relations and Cooperation’s head of public diplomacy, took issue with Greg Mills and Ray Hartley of the Brenthurst Foundation for being ‘obsessed with Ukraine’. The latter have replied comprehensively to Monyela’s criticism. But Monyela’s article exposes some crucial elements of South Africa’s current foreign policy thinking, which are well worth highlighting.
Read more »

Public protector spokesperson Segalwe resigns after 13 yearsPublic protector spokesperson Segalwe resigns after 13 years: Public protector spokesperson Oupa Segalwe has resigned from the position 'in order to pursue other interests'.
Read more »

Public protector spokesperson Segalwe resigns after 13 yearsPublic protector spokesperson Oupa Segalwe has resigned from the position 'in order to pursue other interests'.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 19:35:20